Emerging from the pandemic like a butterfly…

As hard as this pandemic has been, especially for students struggling to learn online, there are reasons to celebrate. For the first time since Digital Journalism was launched as a 7th grade elective, we are proud to post the first edition of the Patriot Power BEFORE Halloween. Students spent the first 8 weeks of school studying how to be an effective reporter, thanks to the great new curriculum posted on School Newspapers Online (SNO). It’s incredible how much students learned about their new role as journalists in such a short period of time.

Today, students from Digital Journalism 7B are publishing their first articles this school year. For practice, they interviewed some old, wise souls in their lives and learned how to effectively capture an live interview. Next, they read about and chose an ‘unassuming hero’ in their lives–someone they admire, who makes a significant contribution to their world, but may not always get recognized. They interviewed these amazing people, some of whom live in their very own homes, and learned to embed their words or ‘pearls of wisdom’ in their articles.

I am continually amazed how much insight students have to share from their perspective. I’ve encouraged them to pay close attention to this time in history. It would be easy to focus on and feel sad about all the challenges we all face; however, I have lived long enough to know that human beings are incredibly resilient. I have often seen people emerge stronger from terrible adversity. My hope is that our students will be the first to witness people making better decisions–about the planet, about how we live our lives, about how we treat each other–after this pandemic. That is the hope that keeps me going as an educator.

So here’s to the resilient spirit of our students. Here’s to their future and all the possibilities they can image. Here’s to making better choices–keeping the best of what we learn and changing the rest to ensure a better future. Here’s to all of the ‘unassuming heroes’ who help us live up to our full potential and live our very best lives, every day.