1.5 Billion Students Displaced

1.5 Billion Students Displaced

The numbers of deaths and cases of COVID-19 keep rising day by day .We are in the middle of a pandemic that is going to change humanity. People all around the world don’t have as much freedom to go outside anymore. People are losing jobs and small companies are going out of business. Sadly, people don’t talk about how this is affecting the students as much as they talk about how this is affecting adults. More than 91 percent of the world’s students are out of school, due to school closures in at least 188 countries. That is more than 1.5 billion students that are out of school.

The reason we all are forced to stay home is because of COVID-19. Covid-19 is a virus also known as Coronavirus, with symptoms similar to a cold, this virus can cause mild respiratory diseases. It starts by infecting lung cells, and turns immune cells against each other. Coronavirus has a lipid envelope. As a result, it can be destroyed by soap. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread from person to person through respiratory droplets which leave the body when an Infected person coughs or sneezes. Schools and other places have shut down so we can help flatten the curve or to slow down the virus’s spread so fewer people need medical attention at the same time.

Because of this many countries have decided to close schools, colleges and universities. At first you could just think that everyone can do online classes but it is easy to forget that not everyone has access to the internet. So to make it fair for all students, some schools aren’t ending classes until quarantine is over. Many schools in the US are using video conference platforms like Zoom and are getting teachers ready for online teaching. The US Department of Agriculture, which oversees the country’s school nutrition programs, says more than 20 million students rely on free school meals each day. Many children and teens eat breakfast and lunch at school because their families can’t afford food for their entire families. And other schools are open again but with more rules like high touch surfaces should be cleaned frequently and there aren’t any field trips.

Until 2020, people have graduated from high school with a ceremony and a celebration, but this year students can’t do that. Because of COVID-19, instead of  a  normal graduation a video was dedicated to the graduates of 2020 featuring celebrities like Kevin Hart, Dua Lipa and even Obama. Many other people also contributed to the video by congratulating or performing for the graduates this year.