Teen’s Vaping

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teen’s Vaping

Vaping for short is inhaling  the vapor produced by the heated nicotine liquid (often called “juice”) of an electronic cigarette also pronounced as e-cig or cigarette. There are many devices that can heat nicotine liquid one of the more popular e-cigarettes are vape pens, It’s also commonly called JUULing (pronounced as jewel-ing).

Although e-cigarettes have been around for more than a decade, vaping rates have skyrocketed in recent years, especially among teens. E-cigarettes are now the most frequently used  smoking product among adolescents. 2.1 million middle and high school students were using e-cigarette daily in 2017 far surpassing traditional cigarettes.

JUUL, a popular vape device that comes in many fun flavors(Ex(of flavors):Banana, Fruit loops, strawberry, etc), looks like a flash drive that uses pods as flavor packets and can be charged in a USB port, which is very concerning because. JUUL delivers Excessively high levels of nicotine, making the product extremely addictive. One pod has nicotine amounts equivalent to 20 cigarettes. The company that makes and markets JUUL has recently exceeded a $10 billion valuation faster than any company, including Facebook, twitter, etc. JUUL sales now make up more than half of the e-cigarette market selling thousands and thousands every day.

Teachers, health professionals and parents are alarmed by the growing popularity of vaping among young people and trying to educate not only teens but also themselves, as it’s all still so new. The American Medical Association are expressing serious concern, recommending that people should avoid vaping entirely.

Vaping was originally meant to be a smoking aid but has quickly became a popular and addictive product. A child and adolescent vaping has been having a recent rise in popularity due to packaging and advertising.  teens are attracted by sleek design and ease of use since due to the size of juul it is very easy to hide from parents and teachers and also due to the looks can be convincing to some parents and teachers that it is an apple product or a usb flash drive. 

Although vaping companies deny that they are marketing to young people, it is very obvious that there aiming for teen lives. Since teens are their biggest buyer at the moment they  make their ads target a younger audience so they can bring in even more teens. There are many note features in their advertising. They use youthful images and colors, animation, actors who appear to be under 21, and suggestions that vaping makes you happier and improves your social status. To advertise and right now the ads tend to work. 

I asked a student that would like to remain anonymous about why they vape and do they have any opinion about vaping. The student says they vape because “It relieves stress and that I genuinely enjoy vaping to clear my mind”. But she/he also said that “I kinda also do it for a social status in school and to fit in”. I ask the anonymous student the question do you think vaping is bad? Their response was “I think vaping is less harmful than smoking, but I know that it is still not safe”. I asked him why he still vapes even though he knows its bad and he replied “It’s because when I try to quit vaping but my body reacts as if I need to vape but recently I have been getting better and not using it daily”.

Although some of the health risks associated with vaping appear to be less severe than traditional combustible  cigarettes (there’s no tar, for example), but there are still risks. Some risk is that nicotine is highly addictive and it is very likely for teens that vape to get into traditional cigarettes. Also some substances found in e-cigarette vapor/flavoring can cause cancer or increase your chance of getting cancer at a younger age.