Digital Journalism Reporters Undercover

Back to Article
Back to Article

Digital Journalism Reporters Undercover

This image shows all our Editors-in-Chief from the beginning of the year till now.

AdVenture STEM has always been a small program, with a maximum of 65 students per grade level. Last year, one 7th grade class took on the responsibility of Digital Journalism while the other 7th grade class tackled Video Production. This year, both classes have taken up the challenge of producing one School News Online (SNO) publication. How do two teachers coordinate 65 students in two sections of the same class?

One class of 7th graders (7A) is run by Ms. Wilkinson who has a bachelor’s degree in US History. After the first edition of AdVenture STEM’s publication, the Patriot Power, Ms. Wilkinson realized her students didn’t enjoy writing articles as much as she hoped. As an alternative, Ms. Wilkinson decided to explore podcasting with her class. She has always loved podcasts of every variety, and the students found it interesting, as well, exploring the process of creating podcasts. Now the 7A Digital Journalism class spends their time interviewing people at school and creating their own original podcasts.

The other class of 7th graders (7B) is run by Ms. Edwards who has experience working for an advertising firm and doing Desktop Publishing. She taught ELA at Santa Teresa as in the Desktop Publishing Magnet program. She has a degree in English and Communication Studies. She and her students created Herman AdVenture’s Patriot Power last year. Her 7th grade students focus on creating articles that cover a wide range of topics. Inspired by Ms. Wilkinson, she decided to try something new. This spring, some of her students started creating podcasts and TED Talks. Ms. Edwards is always looking for ways to create something new each time the class publishes the Patriot Power.

As reporters of the Patriot Power, we are thankful for our teachers who check our work and guide us through the process. This year has been different compared to last year. With two classes this year it’s harder for the teachers to check our work so now this publication is run by students both the writing and the editing. Each edition, two students are assigned the role of Editor-in-Chief. Ritika Samant, Kevin Hong, Ekaterina Kuzmenko, Kathleen Ha, Ishita Misra, Aolani Rodriguez, Daniela Diaz and Christian Miyoko have all served as Editors-in-Chief this school year. In addition to podcasts and TED Talks, these reporters are proud to announce the presentation of the Patriot Power’s new masthead.