E-sports’ Progression

Back to Article
Back to Article

E-sports’ Progression

Video games became one of the most popular sources of entertainment in the 1980s. From simple, bland pong to massively detailed and portable games. Most people see video games as a small competition, away from the real world, with members of tournaments spending lots of time working on their skills in a game. E-Sports was made in 2000, but didn’t get its first promotion until 2010. Ever since then it’s been expanding at a fast rate and now, some of the tournaments can have a grand prize of over 1 million dollars.

The average E- Sports player will earn 1,000 to 5,000 dollars alone, for just competing in the competition. For the winning players, they can get $15,000 for winning, not including the prize money. This is one of the reasons for its huge popularity.

Most E-Sports players have taken their playing skills into the online world, by posting videos on social media, making tutorials and live streaming themselves in their free time.

One of the other main reasons why E-Sports has been growing so rapidly is because people around the world are able to watch as you are able to watch the games for free, it makes it more popular. Even though the players can earn a lot of money, some may decide to make more money by interacting with their viewers, and potentially playing a few rounds with them.

One of the people who we interviewed, Jude Ochoa said, “ I have watched E-Sports online but never go to the live event because of where they are located. Though, I wonder how it would be like to go [to] one.”

E-Sports has been growing and is now one of the most popular competitive competitions in gaming on the planet. Many people watch E-Sports everyday and enjoy the games they can watch on a higher level. As long as video games stay present, E-Sports will continue to grow with a large fan base, bigger prize pools and more games.

About the Writers
Xavier Uy, Reporter

Xavier Uy is currently in 7th grade at the AdVenture STEM Program. During his free time, he enjoys playing Tetris and loves making youtube videos on his...

Anthony Valle, Reporter

Anthony Valle is a basketball all-star and a track and cross country finalist. After being in the AdVenture STEM Program for the past two years, he is...

12 Comments

12 Responses to “E-sports’ Progression”

1. Andrew Coscarelli on April 11th, 2019 8:16 AM

Great Article! I liked how you stated all the reasons why people enjoy E-Sports.

2. Crumm on April 11th, 2019 8:16 AM

Good article it was a bit short and you didn’t interview anyone

3. Diego Flores on April 11th, 2019 8:19 AM

I liked how you talked about the history when it first started, what were the first kind of video games, and then started to talk about the present time of e-sports and that people can win so much money from being in these tournaments.

4. Ritika Samant on April 11th, 2019 8:22 AM

Great Job! I liked how you gave the reader an insight on what E-sports is and you used a lot of details to talk more about the progression of E-sports.

5. Sean Dieu on April 11th, 2019 8:22 AM

You don’t talk about how someone would be able to get in. Does it cost money? Is it expensive?

6. Isabelle Dela Rosa on April 11th, 2019 8:24 AM

I like that you did research on when they were most popular and which games they were, great article.

7. Declan Meyer on April 11th, 2019 8:27 AM

Well it is a well written article about a topic I am fond of, there are a few mistakes. First of all, “The prize money is enough to convince, almost anyone, to attempt tournaments at these” is a quote with a few mistakes. There are two commas that make it incorrect and also there is no period at the end of the sentence. Also, could you go more into the teams and players who compete in E-Sports?

8. Nikolai Ortega on April 11th, 2019 8:28 AM

Really liked how your writing style is and it was a good article that had a lot of details that is a attention catcher and it was fun just reading about E-sports and it’s history of being such a big gaming event that gets attention from all around the world. Good job.

9. Allison Mak on April 11th, 2019 8:29 AM

I really like how you included the history about E-sports in the beginning, and also a bit about the career it’s self.

10. Allison Mak on April 11th, 2019 8:30 AM

I like ow you talked about the career of E-sports and it’s history.

11. Allison Mak on April 11th, 2019 8:31 AM

I like how you talked about the career of E-sports, and what the players do in the job.

12. Khaled Darwich on April 11th, 2019 8:44 AM

I liked how you gave background information about the history of E-sports and how they became successful.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• E-sports’ Progression

Informational

Middle School Struggles – Podcast

• E-sports’ Progression

Informational

Opioids – Podcast

• Informational

How to Keep the Productivity Alive: TED Talk

• E-sports’ Progression

Events

The End of Year Project

• E-sports’ Progression

Informational

Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

• E-sports’ Progression

Events

Herman and AdVenture 8th Grader’s Last Hurrah

• E-sports’ Progression

Entertainment

School Sports

• E-sports’ Progression

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• E-sports’ Progression

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• E-sports’ Progression

Informational

Mexican Immigrants

E-sports’ Progression