Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

Picture yourself, at your standard middle school having the option to play every sport except baseball. In the Oak Grove School District, there is not one middle school that includes baseball as an after school sports option. Most students attending a middle school in the Oak Grove School District think that it is unfair for there to be almost every sport except baseball as an after school sports option. They can even say that the Oak Grove School District are limiting the amount of after schools sports options for boys since they have softball, but not baseball. This problem can lead to unfairness and conflict between students and staff.

Many students in the Oak Grove School District believe that it is unfair that they do not have the option to play baseball for there school. Students have all agreed that it’s unfair that the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District include softball as an after school sport for girls, but no baseball for boys. Although baseball has been noticed by teachers and students they still haven’t taken any action on it to fix the problem. Unlike football, it is not an after school sports option, but in this case, a P.E. teacher took notice of it and created a flag football league for two months. And even though there are middle school softball teams for girls the Oak Grove School District hasn’t tried to do anything for baseball.

Baseball can have many cons that can impact why it may not be an after school sports option, but also includes some pros that can help back it up. One of the main con that baseball has is that baseball is a very expensive sport since you need to buy all the equipment needed to play the sport. For example, you need to have bat’s, helmet’s, baseballs, catchers gear, and baseball gloves. Other cons can be the dangers of playing the sport because it can include many major injuries. A pro in baseball is that it is not the most dangerous sport that can be played unlike football. Another pro for baseball is that you can have fun and make good memories with your friends and family. Even though there are some cons there will always be the pros that will back them up.  

Baseball has caused a lot of conflict between students since there is no middle school in the Oak Grove School District that includes baseball as an after school sports option. What also caused a bit more rivalry between the students is that they include softball for the girls, but they don’t have baseball for the boys. This can indicate that the Oak Grove School District are being exclusive to boys and not to girls by not allowing boys to have the same amount of after school sports options than girls. Also because of this, they are not allowing boys to experience the same sports as girls which cause lots of contrast on the Oak Grove School District. To sum things up, Eastside’s Athletic League’s poor decision lead to a lot of strife across the Oak Grove School District.

After interviewing Laura Meusel the principle of Leonard Herman Intermediate middle school/AdVenture STEM who has attended this school in the 1980s has given us some information about why there aren’t any middle school baseball teams in the Oak Grove School District. Laura Meusel states that one of the reasons why the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District don’t have baseball is maybe because of the cost of equipment and umpires. Another reason why they might not have baseball is because of the safety involved in the sport baseball. Since girls have softball, I think that we should have baseball but East Side Athletic League choose them for us. I would explore us having baseball as an option, though the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District have 9 sport options and the District gives us 27,000 to fund all of them.

Helen Keller once said, “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” Perhaps if we all come together to address the problem to the Oak Grove School District and Eastside Athletic League, baseball can possibly become an after school sport option to middle school students. After all, baseball has lead to unfairness and conflict throughout the campuses of the Oak Grove School District middle schools. And all we have to do is come together to show that we want baseball as an after school sport option in order to achieve our goal.