Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

Picture yourself, at your standard middle school having the option to play every sport except baseball. In the Oak Grove School District, there is not one middle school that includes baseball as an after school sports option. Most students attending a middle school in the Oak Grove School District think that it is unfair for there to be almost every sport except baseball as an after school sports option. They can even say that the Oak Grove School District are limiting the amount of after schools sports options for boys since they have softball, but not baseball. This problem can lead to unfairness and conflict between students and staff.

Many students in the Oak Grove School District believe that it is unfair that they do not have the option to play baseball for there school. Students have all agreed that it’s unfair that the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District include softball as an after school sport for girls, but no baseball for boys. Although baseball has been noticed by teachers and students they still haven’t taken any action on it to fix the problem. Unlike football, it is not an after school sports option, but in this case, a P.E. teacher took notice of it and created a flag football league for two months. And even though there are middle school softball teams for girls the Oak Grove School District hasn’t tried to do anything for baseball.

Baseball can have many cons that can impact why it may not be an after school sports option, but also includes some pros that can help back it up. One of the main con that baseball has is that baseball is a very expensive sport since you need to buy all the equipment needed to play the sport. For example, you need to have bat’s, helmet’s, baseballs, catchers gear, and baseball gloves. Other cons can be the dangers of playing the sport because it can include many major injuries. A pro in baseball is that it is not the most dangerous sport that can be played unlike football. Another pro for baseball is that you can have fun and make good memories with your friends and family. Even though there are some cons there will always be the pros that will back them up.  

Baseball has caused a lot of conflict between students since there is no middle school in the Oak Grove School District that includes baseball as an after school sports option. What also caused a bit more rivalry between the students is that they include softball for the girls, but they don’t have baseball for the boys. This can indicate that the Oak Grove School District are being exclusive to boys and not to girls by not allowing boys to have the same amount of after school sports options than girls. Also because of this, they are not allowing boys to experience the same sports as girls which cause lots of contrast on the Oak Grove School District. To sum things up, Eastside’s Athletic League’s poor decision lead to a lot of strife across the Oak Grove School District.

After interviewing Laura Meusel the principle of Leonard Herman Intermediate middle school/AdVenture STEM who has attended this school in the 1980s has given us some information about why there aren’t any middle school baseball teams in the Oak Grove School District. Laura Meusel states that one of the reasons why the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District don’t have baseball is maybe because of the cost of equipment and umpires. Another reason why they might not have baseball is because of the safety involved in the sport baseball. Since girls have softball, I think that we should have baseball but East Side Athletic League choose them for us. I would explore us having baseball as an option, though the middle schools in the Oak Grove School District have 9 sport options and the District gives us 27,000 to fund all of them.

Helen Keller once said, “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” Perhaps if we all come together to address the problem to the Oak Grove School District and Eastside Athletic League, baseball can possibly become an after school sport option to middle school students. After all, baseball has lead to unfairness and conflict throughout the campuses of the Oak Grove School District middle schools. And all we have to do is come together to show that we want baseball as an after school sport option in order to achieve our goal.

About the Writers
Anthony Gonzalez, Reporter

Anthony Gonzalez is currently a 7th grader at AdVenture STEM Program and loves watching Star Wars movies. He is a hard worker and a very helpful student....

Khaled Darwich, Reporter

Khaled Darwich also known as DJ Khaled, is 7th grader at AdVenture STEM who likes to play pool every day. He's a reporter for the Patriot Power publication....

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?”

1. Sean Dieu on April 11th, 2019 8:18 AM

If it’s so expensive schools will never do it. Most districts that are presented ideas often get rejected by the main purpose of it being way to expensive.

2. Ritika Samant on April 11th, 2019 8:19 AM

Nice work1 I like how you listed the pros and cons of baseball. Your article was very well written and had many details that talked about how we can make sure middle schools have their own baseball team.

3. Andrew Coscarelli on April 11th, 2019 8:20 AM

I agree! I think baseball should be a sport for people to play.

4. Diego Flores on April 11th, 2019 8:23 AM

I liked how you say that there is a lot of people in the oak grove school district that think this is unfair, because it is and there should be a change either they make a baseball team or if they don’t then they should take down the softball team.

5. Xavier Uy on April 11th, 2019 8:26 AM

The main reason on why I like this article is because it gives people many reasons on why OGSD doesn’t have Baseball Teams, while showing other kids perspectives on the topic.

6. Jude Ochoa on April 11th, 2019 8:27 AM

I like your article. I also liked how you put in examples of why it’s unfair.

7. Parker Thomsen on April 11th, 2019 8:28 AM

I am not sure about these points, for one, did the Oak Grove district used to have baseball, if so, were there any major injuries that may have caused the school to think twice about having a baseball team, also, as you said baseball is very expensive, they have to buy all the gear, they have to hire a coach or get a P.E teacher to work extra hours, they have to pay the coach/teacher, and they have to fill out all the paperwork surrounding injuries, I do agree it may seem unfair to exclude the boys from the sport, but there are many, many other teams around the local area, although it may prove to be slightly inconvenient to schedules, if you truly want to play it is worth it, I am in the band at 0 period and believe me if I really did not want to play I would not get to school at 7:15 in the morning for it.

8. Rowan Edwards on April 11th, 2019 8:32 AM

As I was reading your article I noticed a lot of things. I first noticed that you kept saying the same information about how boys don’t like that the girls have softball and that the boys don’t have baseball. I kind of got a little bored while reading it because you didn’t really explain why they don’t really have baseball for the boys and the girls have softball. The sentences were all really long because you made them into ongoing sentences which could’ve been many sentences. Other than those things I liked the idea, but you could’ve improved it to make it more interesting than you did.

9. Isabelle Dela Rosa on April 11th, 2019 8:34 AM

I like that you had clearly stated the pros and cons, great article.

10. Nikolai Ortega on April 11th, 2019 8:35 AM

I like how you guys were able to have reasonings to why you think we should have baseball but there are certain reasons we don’t it is because baseball isn’t such a played sport at are age as kids we played it but we avental grew out of it which I a reason they probably won’t add it because not a lot of people play baseball, nore we probably won’t have enough players playing. But good topic and a attention catcher good job.

11. Declan Meyer on April 11th, 2019 8:40 AM

There is not much wrong with this article. Good job!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

Informational

Middle School Struggles – Podcast

Informational

Opioids – Podcast

Informational

E-sports’ Progression

• Informational

How to Keep the Productivity Alive: TED Talk

Events

The End of Year Project

Events

Herman and AdVenture 8th Grader’s Last Hurrah

Entertainment

School Sports

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Informational

Mexican Immigrants