The End of Year Project

Back to Article
Back to Article

The End of Year Project

After the end of the year tests, most schools tend to take a break and relax. However, the students at AdVenture STEM are still working hard. Each year, the teachers at AdVenture come up with a new project for the students to work on and finish in the limited amount of time they have left. This project is called the End of the Year (EOY) Project.

The EOY Project focuses on topics that relate to recent events. These events include reconstructing the school, and creating a plan to save people’s lives after a fatal natural disaster. Although it is usually quite fun, the EOY project is extremely stressful, according to students with experience of this project.

These projects are known to cause stress on both the students and the teachers. The teachers are rushing their students to finish the project before the last Exhibition Night, and the students try to rush to finish their projects in time. Not only is the rushing stressful, but getting into a group with people can also cause stress. The groups for these projects are usually assigned, so there is a very high possibility that the students will be working with someone they never had worked with before.

Even though the EOY Projects are made up to be the most stressful project throughout the entire year, it’s not always as bad as it is made up to be. In 2017, for the 5th grade AdVenture students, most of them enjoyed the project that they worked on. That year they were tasked with creating the school on a model, and adding their own creative ideas into it.

One year later, in 2018, the used-to-be 5th graders, now 6th graders, were working on another EOY Project. This time, instead of the fun topic of modeling the school, which most students enjoyed, it was creating a backpack of supplies, that survivors of natural disasters could use. For example, if someone just survived a flood, there would be food and dry clothes in a plastic bag – so it’s water proof -, inside the backpack. In terms of comfort, there might be a small blanket, or a sleeping bag. That year the students agreed that this project was more straining and stressful, than the last project.

This year, in 2019 the students were tasked with coming up with a social media campaign, to raise awareness about water sustainability, and the problem of water pollution. The student’s will first research about the water problem in Social Science, and then take that information and use it to fill out the material in Science.

After learning all of this information, the student’s will start working towards the end goal, publishing a social media campaign, and raising awareness for water pollution, and conservation. The goal is to attract the attention of the public, to the problem of people needing clean water.

According to Parker Thomson, a 7th grade student at AdVenture STEM, “End of the year projects are extremely stressful and are kind of a make it or break it moment.” Most of the students agree with Parker’s statement, the EOY Project is one of the last grades you will have, and if you mess up on it, there’s not much you can do to fix your grade.

In the end, after all the stress, entertainment, inspiration, and motivation, students and teachers can finally relax and rest, knowing that the project is finally over. With the end of the year around the corner, when this project ends, the students can finally prepare for summer break.

About the Writers
Andrew Coscarelli, Reporter

Andrew Coscarelli is new to AdVENTURE STEM this year and is still getting used to the presentations. He is a 7th grader at the AdVenture STEM Program and...

Ariana Estrada, Reporter

Ariana Estrada, also known as "Ari", has a goal of getting a scholarship from gymnastics to the schools UCLA, UC Berkeley, or Stanford University. Ariana...

15 Comments

15 Responses to “The End of Year Project”

1. Allison Mak on April 11th, 2019 8:16 AM

I really like how you explained the previous years of the EOY project, and how the projects have evolved over the years. I also like how you talk about both the students and the teachers perspective on the EOY projects.

2. Kylie Gu on April 11th, 2019 8:20 AM

I like how you wrote about previous years of Adventure STEM EOY projects and how you added an interview from a student perspective of the End of the year project. How they felt about the previous years doing this particular project.

3. Jude Ochoa on April 11th, 2019 8:21 AM

NIce article guys, I like how you talked about that we had different end of year projects for each grade.

4. Kathleen Ha on April 11th, 2019 8:22 AM

I liked how you added some background information about the EOY projects that some students did in their previous years at AdVenture, as it gives an idea on what types of projects the EOY project could be.

5. Athena Deleon on April 11th, 2019 8:23 AM

I really enjoyed reading your article, I like the way that you brought the EOY project and sort of its meaning to the AdVenture STEM program. I just was hoping to hear how more than one person actually felt on it, like a quotes from others on how they felt about the project instead of just one persons perspective. Other than that I did really like your article.

6. Anthony Valle on April 11th, 2019 8:25 AM

Good article I liked how you included the negative effects of the end of year project as well.

7. Ritika Samant on April 11th, 2019 8:25 AM

Your article was entertaining to read! I liked how you included the projects from previous years and got some insight from a student on what they think about the EOY project. Well done!

8. Aolani Rodriguez on April 11th, 2019 8:26 AM

I like that you guys mentioned what some previous EOY projects were. I also liked how you included that the EOY project can also be stressful for the students and teachers because it shows a little bit of what the students and teachers think about the project.

9. Kayla Brown on April 11th, 2019 8:26 AM

Over all I think this was a very good and true article, but you could have put more that what one person said in the article. Other than that it was very good and true to the part that the EOY Project is stressful.

10. Sean Dieu on April 11th, 2019 8:26 AM

You could’ve interview all our teachers to find how all our subjects are related, but you just had Social Studies and Science.

11. Isabelle Dela Rosa on April 11th, 2019 8:29 AM

I like the quote you used for Parker, “a make it or break it moment”, overall, a great article.

12. Declan Meyer on April 11th, 2019 8:30 AM

While being a good and well written article, there is a mistake many of the other articles have as well, which is incorrect use of commas.

13. Khaled Darwich on April 11th, 2019 8:31 AM

Nicely written article, I liked how you told us about the EOY projects in the past and I also liked how you ended your article.

14. Xavier Uy on April 11th, 2019 8:33 AM

I like this article because it talks about people’s experiences on the EOY project and how they felt towards the project.

15. Anthony Gonzalez on April 11th, 2019 8:37 AM

I think you guys did a good job talking about what the end of the year project is and I liked how you guys shared people’s thoughts about the (EOY) project. I also liked how you guys included information on how the (EOY) project was previous years,

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• The End of Year Project

Events

Herman and AdVenture 8th Grader’s Last Hurrah

• The End of Year Project

Entertainment

2018-2019 Talent Show

• The End of Year Project

Entertainment

The AdVenture School Dance

• The End of Year Project

Events

Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

• The End of Year Project

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• The End of Year Project

Entertainment

King of the Hammers

• The End of Year Project

Events

Did You Miss The Festival At Half Moon Bay?

• The End of Year Project

Events

The Tradition of Black Friday

• The End of Year Project

Events

Charity Fair 2018

• The End of Year Project

Events

The Death of a Marvel Hero

The End of Year Project