Filed under Events, News

Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

“The real problem, both in discussions of mass shootings and in discussions of gun control, is that too many people are too committed to a vision to allow mere facts to interfere with their beliefs, and the sense of superiority that those beliefs give them.” – Thomas Sowell.

Shootings are becoming increasingly common with the amount of prejudices people hold due to theories that have been spread to them or how they were raised. Some are about religion and some about ethnicity. Most people just keep their prejudices to themselves, while others decide to take action against them. This is what tragically occurred in Wellington, New Zealand. At around 1:40 on March 15, 2019, an armed, white supremacist entered the Christchurch mosque at around 1:40 p.m. and opened fire on praying Muslims, driven by hate towards the ethnicity. He ended up killing 50 innocent people and injuring 12. It’s no surprise that this caused an uproar in the community.

The suspected shooter has now been charged with alleged murder for the attack. It is thought that if he did commit the shooting at the Christchurch mosque, then he also harmed people at the Linwood Islamic Centre.

Reported by Fox News, “A huge group of mourners, estimated to number between 20,000 and 40,000 by local police, came to Hagley Park on Saturday evening to honor and remember the victims of what New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has called a terrorist attack.” Another large event that took place was a human chain around the mosque. A few hundred people held hands to make a circle around the mosque and prayed.

Mike Bush, New Zealand’s Police Commissioner, reports that the current suspect has been the only suspected shooter so far, but there could have been more people involved in the attack, even if they were not physically there during the shooting. Two other people are thought to have been connected to the shooting and are in custody as police investigate further. I will not be saying anything conclusive until we are absolutely convinced as to how many people were involved, but we hope to be able to give that advice over the next few days,” Bush says.

The shooter was armed with several weapons as he entered the mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre, where Muslim prayers were calmly worshipping, having no sight of what was coming their way. Soon enough, the shooter began his killing spree, which he live streamed on social media. He showed everyone how he entered the mosques and shot the worshippers as they tried to save their own life. The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, has recently banned automatic guns and ammunition for civilians to prevent attacks like this from happening.

According to the New York Times, “Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is doing what she can to lead the way. She has hammered social media companies for allowing and amplifying extremism. In addition, she went to a high school this week, which lost two of its students in the attack. She told the students that hey need to fight prejudice.” These actions show that she wants to take immediate action after the devastating shooting that took place.

To get another perspective on this topic, Danielle Wilkinson, a social studies teacher at AdVenture/STEM, says, “I believe it was 100% wrong for this terrorist attack to break out because it was a very tragic event. The shooter might have done this due to unfounded hate and adherence to philosophies that are racist, like white supremacy. Anything that can happen if these shootings continue to occur because they’ve been happening forever now.” Mrs. Wilkinson is conveying that it was a man who opened fire because there was hatred towards Muslim culture. In her viewpoint, it is no surprise that this shooting happened, because they’ve been taking place forever, with or without a gun.

Additionally, a 7th grader at AdVenture STEM was also interviewed about the New Zealand shooting. “It was bad and racist. It was discriminative against Muslim people. He had no real reason to do it and since he was live streaming it, it was even more wrong. They could have done it because they have something against someone of that culture. If this continues, we might have problems in the future with people against other people for having their own, unique ways.” they said.

The New Zealand shooting was a dreadful event that negatively impacted many lives. Shootings are becoming more common with all of the prejudice-causing theories on news websites and social media. Even the ban of fully automatic weapons and ammunition cannot solve hate towards an ethnicity or religion. As Martin Luther King said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that.

About the Writers
Ishita Misra, Reporter

Ishita Misra is a kid that starts every morning by reading an intriguing novel! She is a 7th grade student that currently attends the AdVenture STEM program...

Declan Meyer, Reporter

Declan Meyer loves doing parkour and is currently a 7th grader at the AdVenture STEM Program. One reason why he enjoys AdVenture is because it is hands...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre”

1. Kayla Brown on April 11th, 2019 8:16 AM

I really like how you started the article with a quote about shootings, but one thing I did notice was in the second paragraph “At around 1:40 on March 15, 2019, an armed,” you forgot to put the am or pm in so I did not know what time of day it was. Other than that I think your article was great.

2. Aolani Rodriguez on April 11th, 2019 8:19 AM

I like your introduction and end quote because they were very powerful and added something for the reader to think about. Another thing that I liked was that you mentioned how extreme some prejudice can be and how wrong it is. I also think you might have made a mistake in your 7th paragraph where you guys said “She told the students that hey need to fight prejudice.” I think you meant “She told the students that they need to fight prejudice.”

3. Nikolai Ortega on April 11th, 2019 8:20 AM

Put a lot of thought into this and it came out good and it is a eye catcher. Which it caught my eye and I read it and how people ram others and sometimes don’t even know it’s happening. This was a sad time many people killed and injured in this mass shooting and many people and cops came out for honor to these people would were killed in the shooting.

4. Ekaterina Kuzmenko on April 11th, 2019 8:23 AM

Good Job on the article. It was very intriguing. I would recommend to start the article with the second paragraph, the one without a quote and put the quote later on or maybe even at the end to give a reader a thought to start of with. Also watch the commas in some places but other than that good job.

5. Kylie Gu on April 11th, 2019 8:26 AM

I liked how you added an interview from a teacher perspective and how she felt specifically about the New Zealand shooting. I also liked your quote at the beginning which gives some information to the readers about your specific topic.

6. Diego Flores on April 11th, 2019 8:34 AM

I liked how you guys started it of with a good quote that really relates to this topic, and also liked how you guys got an interview from a students opinion and a teachers opinion.

7. Sean Dieu on April 11th, 2019 8:40 AM

You could talk about what our country could do to stop things like this too.

8. Khaled Darwich on April 11th, 2019 8:40 AM

Beautifully written article, I liked how engaged your reader with an opening quote about mass shootings. I also liked how you used information from articles written by Fox News & New York Times.

9. Kevin Hong on April 11th, 2019 8:48 AM

Overall a powerful article but their were many grammatical mistakes throughout and I had trouble reading your article. Islam is a religion not a country, so the shooting wasn’t an act of hate towards an ethnicity but towards a religion.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

The End of Year Project

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

Herman and AdVenture 8th Grader’s Last Hurrah

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Entertainment

2018-2019 Talent Show

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Entertainment

The AdVenture School Dance

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Entertainment

King of the Hammers

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

Did You Miss The Festival At Half Moon Bay?

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

The Tradition of Black Friday

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

Charity Fair 2018

• Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre

Events

The Death of a Marvel Hero

Many Killed in New Zealand Massacre