Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

In 2017, Fortnite, a battle royale game, was at the top of the charts. People of all ages played Fortnite Battle Royale on their smartphones, tablets, consoles, and computers. Fortnite is a first-person, multiplayer shooter game made by Epic Games. Mostly teenagers and pre-teens played this game, but now younger audiences also play the game.

Fortnite was originally announced in 2011 by Epic Games, and it was a four-player Co-op game where people would build defenses and forts to protect themselves from zombies. The players could break any object they saw in order to gain materials, and there were lots of traps, powers, abilities, and guns they could use. This game was called Fortnite Save The World, and it was in development until 2017. When Epic Games finally released a battle royale version of Fortnite Save The World, and people went crazy about the game.

The game suddenly became popular because a build feature was added into the game which became very useful to other people and differentiated it from other battle royale games like Player Unknown Battlegrounds (PUBG). Kid-friendly graphics were also added, so the game has more of a cartoon-style to it. This attracted an audience of kids to now play Fortnite.

However, the fact that it is a battle royale game makes it violent to start off with. Battle Royale is a system where many people start off with no items or guns and try to scavenge for loot in order to kill other players, and the last one standing wins. However, since the map is so big, the game uses a system where you have to stay compacted in one area, or else you get killed. Fortnite doesn’t include any blood or gore, but the fact that you have to kill people until you’re the only one left as “entertainment” isn’t really for kids. This can encourage kids to be more hostile in real life.

Even people who play Fortnite think it’s unhealthy for them too. Peyton Follosco, A 12-year-old student from Herman Intermediate who plays Fortnite says, “It won’t hurt you physically, but mentally, that’s a different story”.

People can also cyberbully, steal information, and do worse things, simply by obtaining your IP address. There is an option to mute and report people, but some people don’t know how to do that. If they don’t, they can mute the game altogether. The people you meet online, especially in gaming communities, can’t always be trusted.

As kids play Fortnite, they can and will develop violent thoughts in their head, which isn’t very good. You see, Fortnite allows you to play in duos or squads, and the people on your team are allowed to communicate to the team through voice, but the people that can show up on the voice chat can be harmful to younger audiences. For example, a teenager could be in the game and could swear, which might encourage young people to swear more often in real life. Alex’s (a 7th-grade student at AdVENTURE STEM and also an author of this article) mother that works for a company exclaims, “Fortnite is too violent and not very kid-friendly. It also lays a bad impression on kids.”

From this conducted research and information from many people of different ages, this can definitely conclude that Fortnite isn’t the best game for kids. It has a violent structure containing guns, the capability to shoot or kill someone, and content that isn’t really appropriate for kids. However, the game contains no blood and has cartoonish graphics, so either side could be true, it just depends on the players’ opinion and how sensitive they are to those topics.

About the Writer
Sean Phi, Reporter

Sean Phi studies about physics every weekend and wishes to be a physicist when he grows up. He is a new, 2018, 7th grade student in AdVenture/STEM. Sean...

23 Comments

23 Responses to “Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?”

1. Sean Phi on March 20th, 2019 2:08 PM

I like how it actually explains how the game works and convinced us to think that fortnite is not good for kids.

2. Arvand Bugwadia on March 20th, 2019 2:08 PM

Yeah I think fornite should be for older ages. Great points. Nice article.

3. Arvand Bugwadia on March 20th, 2019 2:09 PM

Yeah I think fornite should be for older ages. Great claims nice article.

4. Emma Desagun on March 20th, 2019 2:10 PM

I really enjoyed reading your guys article! The information put in this article is outstanding! Also the cause and effect added into this as more information is also very good.

5. Anthony Gonzalez on March 20th, 2019 2:11 PM

Great Article, I think you guys stated your topic very clearly and had good evidence and reasoning to answer the question whether or not Fortnite is taking over kids lives.

6. Diego Flores on March 20th, 2019 2:13 PM

I like how you guys talked about what platforms you can play on, what companies made it, and why everyone wants to play fortnite over any other game.

7. Lucas Fields on March 20th, 2019 2:14 PM

Fortnite was not at first a battle royal game and was not free to play, the game mode was save the world a third person zombie survival game and the battle royal game was released later on

8. Khaled Darwich on March 20th, 2019 2:15 PM

Lovely article, I liked how you gave perspectives of all ages.

9. Emilie Ngo on March 20th, 2019 2:18 PM

This article had a lot of good information and details about why Fortnite is or isn’t bad for kids.

10. Hadley Arndt on March 20th, 2019 2:19 PM

I really enjoyed how you gave quotes on what kids our age say after playing the game because it shows different opinions.

11. Jaiden Cruz on March 20th, 2019 2:24 PM

This is a great relevant article about something that is really happening right now.

12. Isaiah Young on March 20th, 2019 2:24 PM

This was a good article I would read again.

13. Sean Dieu on March 21st, 2019 8:19 AM

It doesn’t address that if kids lives are being taken over. It just talks about the game.

14. Anthony Valle on March 21st, 2019 8:22 AM

Very good article I like how you included both perspectives the good and bad

15. Jude Ochoa on March 21st, 2019 8:24 AM

I like your artice’s and your points, I agree with Peyton’s it won’t affect people physically but mentally based on what you have.

16. Jude Ochoa on March 21st, 2019 8:26 AM

Nice article, there were some wrong punctuations but all in all, a really good article. I also agree with Peyton’s point, it can affect some people mentally.

17. Peyton Follosco on March 21st, 2019 8:30 AM

Very nice article! I like how you showed the perspectives of different ages and grades.

18. Kaelyn Gormely on March 21st, 2019 8:35 AM

I like how you talk about the game and how it rose to popularity, but maybe next time you could talk about how it takes over kids a little more because that is the topic of the article. I do enjoy how you provided this information through because it overall makes the article a lit more interesting. I do agree with Peyton’s comment though, people can easily get addicted to video games like this and it can take over a major portion of their lives.

19. Enzo Gaskill on March 21st, 2019 8:41 AM

Very good article, I like how they explain what Fortnite is because some people might not know what Fortnite is.

20. Anneke Laurence on March 29th, 2019 4:47 PM

I like how you provided information and facts about Fortnite before talking about peoples’ opinions on the game.

21. Anthony Valle on April 11th, 2019 8:15 AM

Very nice article I like how you showed lots of information about the topic but some of it was wrong like it is not a first person shooter it is a third person.

22. Emma Desagun on April 11th, 2019 8:18 AM

Nice article, it has a god description about the game but I would recommend more facts and effects towards how it takes over kids lives and how is changes them and their actions.

23. Ariana Estrada on April 11th, 2019 8:29 AM

I think that this is a very good article. I like how you included different perspectives from different ages, but I’m still wondering how Fortnite takes over kids lives. I think that you should include more information of how playing Fortnite might affect kids in the future, and how it takes over their lives. Other than that, nice job.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

2018-2019 Talent Show

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

The AdVenture School Dance

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

School Sports

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Why do you have social media?

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Do You Feel Comfortable About Lying?

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Have you ever felt guilty?

• Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Entertainment

Dreams Podcast

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?