Is Black Lives Matter Important?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Black Lives Matter Important?

Black Lives Matters demonstrators marched east along Como Avenue towards the main gate of the Minnesota State Fair Grounds in Falcon Heights, on Saturday, August 29, 2015. (Pioneer Press: John Autey)

John Autey

John Autey

John Autey

Think of a black student in a classroom full of mainly non-black students. Think about how that person would feel if they were treated with disrespect and not welcome with the other students due to the color of their skin. That is exactly what had happened in the past with the African Americans. Throughout history, America has discriminated against African-Americans and many other races. African-Americans have not been the only culture that has been treated poorly in this country, other cultures and races have been treated with disrespect in the past as well. In the past few centuries, the United States has had many slaves that were killed, tortured, beaten, and suffered many other horrifying acts of cruelty. Thankfully, the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln stopped slavery and created a law of no more slavery in America. He made sure that this country wasn’t allowed to treat people like animals and make them do difficult labor.

Later in the future, people still had a major conflict with African Americans. Instead of slavery and owning people, societies wouldn’t let black people have rights, didn’t let them have privileges and wouldn’t let them fit in with other races. That led to black people standing up for their beliefs and rights that they deserved. In that time of history, there was an important person who believed all people should be treated equally and that there should be no conflict or violence with anyone. His name was Martin Luther King Jr who once said: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”.

Martin was a well-known civil rights activist who had a great deal of influence on American society in the 1950s through the 1960s. His strong belief in nonviolent protest helped set the tone of the Black Lives Matter Movement. On February 5th, 1995, there was a baby boy who had just been born in Florida. Then years later the same person was shot 17 years later by a white police officer which further catapulted the movement. It was not only teenagers that were killed back then but also kids, adults, and older African American people. Black men and women were being killed or mistreated by white police officers. Most black people died or went to jail even though they didn’t do anything illegal. Just because they were of a different race, people thought that they were not important.

These acts in the 1950s through 1960s led to The Black Lives Matter Movement, which was created by three women by the name of Alicia Garza, Opal Tometi, and Patrisse Cullors. All three of these powerful women started this by a simple tweet which said, #BlackLivesMatter, because after the incident which happened with the 17-year-old boy named Trayvon Martin.

Ms. Wilkinson, a teacher at Adventure STEM, said: “I appreciate the work that the Black Lives Matter movement is trying to do but I do wish they had a more cohesive platform that was published publicly.” There are a variety of people who agree with Ms. Wilkinson, therefore today there has been another movement that is going against the Black Lives Matter Movement called the All Lives Matter movement.

This movement has been directed to go against the Black Lives Matter movement since there are some people who believe the Black Lives Matter statement is denying all other races that are struggling in America as well. Many people believe that if someone says all lives matter, then they are saying that black lives are not being recognized, even though they have been through many events in the past which affected the way people treated them.

Even though there isn’t a lot of slavery or discrimination in parts of the U.S. today there are still people out in this country that still believes in awful causes including slavery and discrimination. Nowadays people have many discussions on the races of the country and how they should be treated. Some believe that all races should be treated equally with the same respect. Others have believed in rights and equality like Jenika Fernando, a 7th-grade student at Adventure STEM, who believes “It is important to acknowledge the people who were involved in building our country.”

Our world is trying harder and harder to make all races equal, even though there are those people who believe in things that are awful like what has happened in the past with African Americans. With the struggles of the world coming together as a whole, and accepting the Black Lives Matter Movement, it simply means that black people are in need of others to help them. Even though other races are having it bad as well, black people are stuck in a bigger hole due to their horrible past in America. Thus, this country needs to come together and provide all races with equality.