Is computer addiction really a problem?

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bergenit.net%2Fsocial-media-and-teenagers-its-complicated%2F
Back to Article
Back to Article

Is computer addiction really a problem?

http://www.bergenit.net/social-media-and-teenagers-its-complicated/

With computers becoming more advanced many people (especially kids) are becoming addicted to them. They spend countless hours a day playing their favorite video games or watching TV/YouTube. In some cases, people may even skip school/work to do this, or they become angry when they are forced to get off it. For some people, technology is very similar to a drug. At one point it can become so much of a problem, the people have to go to a rehabilitation center. Yes, this is actually that big of a problem.

For a lot of people, the addiction of technology comes in the form of a larger display such a television, or a laptop. It can be very addicting, and you probably have one right in your living room, or in your own room. In fact, they are so common you have to be reading this very article on a laptop, desktop, or phone right now. It is understandable that people like bigger screens, as you can stream millions of shows, videos, games, articles etc. with only a few clicks and barely moving a finger.

Big screens are not the only form this problem comes in, Many people are becoming addicted to their cell phones, as you can do almost anything nearly anywhere. This is going as far as texting in class/work, even if it is against the rules. Social interaction is essential to be a happy human being, but with texting and calling, social interaction is becoming obsolete for some people. Some people will even text their friend or family when they are just upstairs or right next to them.

Social media such as Instagram or Snapchat is another large part of the problem. Many people around the world spend a large portion of their day using these types of apps, some even spending their entire day posting the majority of their daily activities such as eating, going to the store or market, doing work, and at the end of the day, saying goodnight to their followers. 

One huge topic has grown exponentially in recent years, is gaming. Usually, people do gaming on a device such as PlayStation or XBox. While it has been around for a while, over time it has become more updated and addicting to the point of which many people will play it through all of their daylight hours, and a majority of their nightly hours. “I never knew it would be so addicting for me. Before I started to play games, I either watched TV or played on my mom’s phone. I started to get addicted back when Minecraft was blowing up, and back then I did not have a computer of my own, so I had to bother my mom every time I wanted to play. Now I play a lot of different games such as Fortnite, PUBG, Call Of Duty 4, and several others for hours a day. I grew up with the screens, and so did my friend. My friend spends up to around 10 hours a day playing games, and streams.” says an anonymous 7th grader at AdVenture STEM.

You may be thinking: “how can this be physically dangerous?”. Well, first of all, you could become unhealthy if you sit around all day, and second of all, you could be using devices at the wrong place and time. Texting and driving is a huge problem these days and it causes many accidents. It is so common, approximately 1.6 million crashes are caused by texting and driving a year. This is a rough estimate, but 43.2 million crashes have been caused since texting was invented in 1992.

Texting and driving is not the only undesired thing devices can do. You could also be texting and walking. Younger people are now being involved, as you do not need a driver’s license to do it. Some people use their device while crossing the street and end up getting hit by a car or they walk right off of a cliff. One of the things that cause this is maps. People will look at the map and suddenly they are completely unaware of their surroundings. There are also games that use the GPS that is intended for maps and have the people walk around while looking at the phone, mostly in a crowded city.

Like mentioned at the beginning, some people become addicted to devices. Whether it be a computer, console, phone, or other devices, it is very easy to become physically and mentally attached to them. You probably know people that are addicted to their screens. Screens are everywhere, and there is not really any way to ignore them out in public. They are becoming faster and different every year. Overall, screen addiction is a huge problem and there is really no way to get rid of it completely. If people wanted to get off of it, it would have to be a personal decision. Nowadays, it is impossible to keep young children from away from screens which continues the addiction trend.

About the Writer
Declan Meyer, Reporter

Declan Meyer loves doing parkour and is currently a 7th grader at the AdVenture STEM Program. One reason why he enjoys AdVenture is because it is hands...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Is computer addiction really a problem?”

1. Xavier Uy on March 20th, 2019 2:03 PM

I like the article because you picked a topic that most people deal with.

2. Xavier Uy on March 20th, 2019 2:04 PM

I like this article because you have a topic most people can relate with, such as people that do spend more than 10 hours per day on electronics.

3. Alaina Tran on March 21st, 2019 8:21 AM

I like how you addressed this problem as two sides, to how technology benefits us but too much of it can affect us negatively.

4. Jude Ochoa on March 21st, 2019 8:30 AM

Good article Declan, I like how you talked about how technology affects people in negative ways and how they can do good things too.

5. Peyton Follosco on March 21st, 2019 8:33 AM

I like your article and how you addressed both sides. Also I think its coll that this is one of the only articles that go for tech.

6. Kaelyn Gormely on March 21st, 2019 8:49 AM

I like how even though you have a semi-clear opinion on the topic, you were able to address both sides. Because this is an issue that people have in their everyday lives, whether it be the person themselves or someone in their life like a friend or family member. I think that you did a really good job on communicating how addiction is present in our society and how it can affect people in their everyday lives.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Is computer addiction really a problem?

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Informational

Mexican Immigrants

Informational

Do you get distracted on technology?

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

Informational

Animal Cruelty

Informational

Is Black Lives Matter Important?

Informational

Is Your Phone Your Bff?

Informational

Mexican Immigrants: the podcast

Informational

Podcast: How many hours of sleep do you get?

• Informational

Gender Inequality Ted Talk

Is computer addiction really a problem?