King of the Hammers

Back to Article
Back to Article

King of the Hammers

Have you ever thought you would wake up the next morning and not know what the weather would be like? Surprisingly, all those at King of the Hammers (KOH) 2019 has experienced that from sand storms to pouring rain, to it being warm out. But that just contributes to the excitement of the race. It is not only the weather that is giving the racers and everyone else a hard time. A dry lake bed at Johnson Valley, California is a challenge for those racers who wanted one, and since it’s February, the cold will get to some people, but others are there to win the cash prize at the end.

Dave Cole, a Hammertown participant, has taken part every year since KOH has started in 2007. Cole takes many hours and long weeks to set up Hammertown for those to come. The event might only last a week, but the setting up part would take months. Dave Cole might run KOH now, but in 2007, when the first KOH was going to happen, it was Jeff Knoll’s and his idea to create a racing event that would go across desert, rocks, and many other harsh terrains. It had all come to them when they were in a bar in San Bernardino and they had planned it out on a napkin.

“It is really chaotic and crowded, but a really cool experience, “ says one of the police workers I asked at KOH. Another police officer agreed about it being chaotic and crowded and had a little more to say. “Working here is hard because there are young adults that are drinking and doing some silly things, so it can be interesting sometimes.” They really like KOH, but they still have to work and do their job.

“King of the Hammers is a race in the desert with difficult terrain and obstacles and the hardest one day race in the world,” says Chris Brown who is a racer in the 4800 category. He has run at KOH for two years and spectated for his first year there. Chris Brown has been to the most recent KOH this year. Chris had gotten all the way past the Outer Limits and had one left called Spooners. “The trails don’t seem as hard when you are watching it all go down, but when you are out there running the course, it is a whole new level of skills. It is grueling, there are some top notch cars that break out there. You don’t know what is going to happen out there until it actually happens.

King of the Hammers is not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot to get through that type of terrain. If a racer’s body is not the correct type of shape then it can be all over for a racer. If someone’s car is not 100% robust, then that could be the difference between someone winning and breaking. King of the Hammers is one of the hardest races anyone could enter as less than 5% finish the race. King of the Hammers might not seem like the hardest race when watching, but once you get in those vehicles and get on the course, it is like a whole different realm.

About the Writer
Kayla Brown, Reporter

Kayla Brown is a hard working, independent person who loves doing activities with her family and friends. She is a 7th grade student who goes to AdVenture...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “King of the Hammers”

1. Aolani Rodriguez on March 20th, 2019 1:56 PM

Your hook was really good and it made me think about the different conditions at King of the Hammers. I also like how you interviewed people who were actually at King of the Hammers.

2. Ritika Samant on March 20th, 2019 2:11 PM

I enjoyed reading your article! It was very descriptive and very strong which means you must’ve put a lot of effort into this. Good Job!

3. Andrew Coscarelli on March 20th, 2019 2:23 PM

The race sounds extremely dangerous with the difficult terrain.

4. Diego Flores on March 21st, 2019 8:19 AM

I liked how you put a shorter version for King of Hammers (KOH).

5. Kevin Hong on March 21st, 2019 8:20 AM

Great article and wording but it could’ve been edited better since there was a lot of grammatical errors.

6. Parker Thomsen on March 21st, 2019 8:22 AM

Interesting article, but I got confused, at first, there was little to no information about the event was, then, turns out its a race, and you use the word run, so I thought that it was a marathon, and later, towards the end, you mentioned cars, it was confusing as a reader to figure out what the conditions are, what the race is, if its a running event/marathon or if it is a car event/race.

7. Nikolai Ortega on March 21st, 2019 8:25 AM

From reading what you said it caught my attention and you tell us a story that starts out by not being able to race to them ending up in a bar making a thought in there head to make a race going to the desert and rocks, sand and even other trains. So in my opinion I think Kayla did good in this and it made a lot of since and catches my attention.

8. Ariana Estrada on March 21st, 2019 8:35 AM

I think that this is a very interesting article. Your hook was great, and pulled me right in. I didn’t know what King of the Hammers was until this article. I really like that you interviewed people that were at King of the Hammers. Great job!

9. Amanda Tharp on March 21st, 2019 8:52 AM

When reading your article, I was able to learn something new that I never knew about before. It was good to know about how what the race is and the experience from people that participated.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Why do you have social media?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Do You Feel Comfortable About Lying?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Have you ever felt guilty?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Dreams Podcast

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Is Astrology To Be Trusted Or Forbidden?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

Can bullying put an LGBTQ+’s life in danger?

• King of the Hammers

Entertainment

California Fires

King of the Hammers