Filed under Informational, Sports

Racism Overplayed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Racism Overplayed

Have you ever been playing your favorite sport when the captains are choosing teams? There might have been one person who was chosen last. That last person is probably being stereotyped by the captains. For instance, you’re playing basketball in the gym and there are captains choosing their teams. If there is a black person and a white person, the person of black ethnicity has a greater chance of being chosen than the white person (unless the captain knows either of them personally). These stereotypes are wrong and offend the people they are targeted at.

These types of stereotypes are unacceptable because there are people like Larry Bird, who is a very good basketball player/Hall of Famer who people thought wasn’t as good as he was white. Often times when you hear the word “stereotype” you’ll mostly think of race but there are other types of stereotypes as well. For example, if there is a girl with a bunch of boys playing soccer or any game that can be played with teams, the girl might be chosen last just because she is a girl.

Joseph Ochoa, Jude Ochoa’s brother, was asked about how he feels about stereotypes in sports. “I feel as if people should understand each other in order to avoid stereotypes.” He was also asked what sport he played and if he had to deal with stereotypes. The sport he played was Jiu-Jitsu. “Yes, I have had to deal with stereotypes. It was something about being Asian and being good at school.” He was asked if it had affected him negatively. “It has not affected me.” He then was also asked if they had affected him to make want to quit or stop his sport. He replied, “ No, stereotypes have not affected my passion for my sport.”

From an article made by Joseph Cooper titled, “Dangerous Stereotypes stalk black college athletes.” It says that, “…It is a long-standing and deadly stereotype in American society that views black males as subhuman and superhuman all at once.” What they mean in the quote is that black people in other eyes, are viewed as the lower class but, also as superhuman because they excel in sports.  The article also states “…A case can be made that there are many parallels between the exploitation of black student-athletes today and how black labor was exploited during American slavery.”

Stereotyping people in sports is wrong and you should never do it. Stereotyping people could emotionally hurt them and make them want to quit the sport they love. When you hear the words stereotypes mixed with sports, you think of blacks being superior in every sport but that isn’t true. You would never want to be the victim of stereotypes but if you are, turn that negative energy into strength and power.

About the Writers
Jude Emanuel Ochoa, Reporter

Jude Emanuel Ochoa has a difficult middle name to pronounce and goes to Herman AdVenture. He has been going to AdVENTURE STEM for two years and is currently...

Anthony Valle, Reporter

Anthony Valle is a basketball all-star and a track and cross country finalist. After being in the AdVenture STEM Program for the past two years, he is...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Racism Overplayed”

1. Ekaterina Kuzmenko on March 20th, 2019 2:14 PM

It’s a good article, I like the way you formatted the article. When you cited Judes brother you should have taken consideration that most people that could possibly read your article are not familiar with this Jude guy. You should have left out the fact that he is Judes brother and sited him as a student or teacher or whatever social status he currently has. Also while citing an article you need to include the name of an article not just the author. Other than that good job I enjoyed reading this article.

2. Christian Miyoko on March 20th, 2019 8:39 PM

I like how the message of being stereotypical is conveyed through the countless times, it is said throughout the article. I also thought it unique from other articles in the Patriot Power when you guys referenced another article on stereotypes in sports. Next time, I think you should maybe run it by more people than you did this time because when you guys interviewed Jude Ochoa’s brother about what sport he played, in the article you said port instead of sport. Nice job!

3. Sean Dieu on March 21st, 2019 8:18 AM

I found a typo in your writing. When you were interviewing Jude’s brother, you wrote “port” instead of “sport”.

4. Kevin Hong on March 21st, 2019 8:20 AM

Their were some great points made but the overall idea of the article wasn’t really portrayed and it was really confusing as you bounced around examples. Their were also many grammatical errors.

5. Kaelyn Gormely on March 21st, 2019 8:24 AM

I think that including examples of this issue really enhances the article, like how you may pick someone over another person in a certain sport like football or basketball because of their race. Another great example was how you talked about Larry Bird and how he was discriminated against by being told he wasn’t good as the other players because he was white. I thought that providing examples like these really enhanced the article and they way that is played out for me in my head.

6. Khaled Darwich on March 21st, 2019 8:36 AM

Perfect article! I liked how you interviewed Joseph Ochoa who has a bold idea on this topic.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Racism Overplayed

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Mexican Immigrants

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Do you get distracted on technology?

• Racism Overplayed

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Animal Cruelty

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Is Black Lives Matter Important?

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Is Your Phone Your Bff?

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Mexican Immigrants: the podcast

• Racism Overplayed

Informational

Podcast: How many hours of sleep do you get?

• Informational

Gender Inequality Ted Talk

Racism Overplayed