Zombie Students?!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Zombie Students?!

Have you ever woken up one day feeling like all your energy has been drained away, having really bad under-eye bags, weren’t able to think clearly, and just wanted to go back to bed? You were probably experiencing what is called sleep deprivation.

“What exactly is sleep deprivation?”, someone might ask. According to Wikipedia, “Sleep deprivation commonly known as insufficient sleep is the condition of not having enough sleep. A chronic sleep-restricted state can cause fatigue, daytime sleepiness, clumsiness, and weight loss or weight gain. It adversely affects the brain and cognitive function”.

These days, sleep deprivation has widely affected teens, kids, and young adults, for many reasons. When you are a young teen, still growing up and trying to figure out the works of life, you have a lot on your mind and a lot going on, making it harder for your body to want to relax and shut down for bed. With the large social influence this generation has had, electronic devices are what most teens find keeping them up at night as a distraction for their body to not want to get some rest. Another reason why us teens (especially in high-school) have become such night owls, is school, or more specifically, homework. Now depending on what school you go to the workload could vary, although most kids are still learning time management when it comes to completing a large amount of work at home every night.

What if one night a very bright student stays up longer than expected working on a project, the next day the student has a math test and doesn’t score as high as they normally would, due to be tired? It wouldn’t be a very accurate representation of the student’s full potential because they are feeling sleep deprived.