Filed under Informational, Sports

“Las Vegas” Raiders?

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Las Vegas” Raiders?

Have you ever spent a lot of money on something before? Mark Davis, the owner of the Oakland Raiders (that is a professional American football franchise based in Oakland, California), is investing 1.9 billion dollars on a new stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The project of developing a new stadium actually started in 2016 when reports emerged about Las Vegas Sands (an American casino and resort company based in Las Vegas, Nevada) was considering developing a stadium in association with Majestic Realty and UNLV (University of Nevada), on a 42 acre site on Tropicana Avenue, the Sam Boyd Stadium. UNLV have been trying to replace the stadium since 2011. This seem to strike Mark Davis as a good idea so he met up with Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval to discuss about the stadium plan. Mark Davis also met up with UNLV to evaluate whether it could serve as a temporary home for the Raiders.

On April 28, 2016, Mark Davis said he wanted to move to Las Vegas. Though in the June 2016, the viability of the site was called into serious question by Southwest Airlines. They objected the location because of its proximity to the northern end of one of McCarran Airport’s runways, which could negatively affect the safety and capacity of air traffic at the airport. The list of potential locations were increased to 9 locations but then it was narrowed down to two locations; the Bali Hai Golf Club and a vacant lot on Russell Road. The vacant lot on Russell Road was chosen. On May 1st, 2017, the construction companies that will develop the new stadium were determined to be the Mortenson Construction Co and McCarthy Construction Co. Have you ever wondered why Mark Davis wanted to move?

The reason behind moving to Las Vegas is because Mark Davis has been planning to move to a new stadium since the 1980’s. They missed their chance on moving to Los Angeles to the Los Angeles Rams. Even though they missed this chance, in that same year they were able to strike a deal to build a new stadium in Las Vegas, at the Las Vegas Stadium.

For the Las Vegas Stadium, Mark Davis selected the same architecture firm, MANICA Architecture, that had designed the previously proposed Carson Stadium near Los Angeles. Since he liked the design he retained much of the look. The stadium will be a 10 level domed stadium with a clear ETFE (Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene, a fluorine based plastic) roof, silver and black exterior, and a large extractable curtain-like side windows facing the Las Vegas Strip. Also the stadium will include a roll-in natural grass field identical to the one at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. The completion of the construction of the Raiders’ Stadium is expected to be in 2020.

To know about how people feel about this topic, we decided to interview some of our fellow classmates. “[It] looks nice because it has big sliding doors that open electrically and the design looks futuristic.” Anthony Valle, one of our fellow reporters at the Patriot Power Publication, said. Jacob Lopez, another one of our fellow reporters of the Patriot Power Publication, said that “I don’t like it because he does not have a local team to root for.”

The stadium will replace the Sam Boyd Stadium and will serve as the home field for both the Raiders and the University of Nevada Rebels football program. In addition, it will host the annual Vegas Bowl and was advocated by David Beckham, an English retired footballer legend and current president of Inter Miami CF, for the stadium to be a possible home for his MLS (Major League Soccer) expansion team, although he publicized the launch of the team with a stadium in Miami. What do you think of the Las Vegas Stadium?

About the Writers
Christian Miyoko, Reporter

Christian Miyoko, also know Try Hard Miyoko, is a reporter for the Patriot Power Publication. Christian is currently a 7th grader at the AdVenture STEM...

Diego Flores, Reporter

Diego is an amazing baseball player and is always getting requests from teams for him to play with them. He likes to play video games, and is a 7th grader...

7 Comments

7 Responses to ““Las Vegas” Raiders?”

1. Anthony Valle on January 17th, 2019 8:20 AM

I think that this a good article with lots of info about the topic and it does not go off topic good job.

2. Khaled Darwich on January 17th, 2019 8:22 AM

I liked how your article was short and your conclusion. It had a really big impression on me.

3. Kevin Hong on January 17th, 2019 8:30 AM

The article was great but a bit confusing with grammar mistakes and unnecessary transitions.

4. Ritika Samant on January 17th, 2019 8:38 AM

Great article! I like how you described the new stadium in detail and gave background information on how the idea of a new stadium came to be.

5. Kayla Brown on January 17th, 2019 8:40 AM

I liked how you added in the parentheses to give extra information or to just explain what something means. I also liked how you added in a lot of detailed information regarding the new Raiders Stadium.

6. Rowan Edwards on January 17th, 2019 8:42 AM

Did Mark Davis miss his chance of a new stadium in the 1980’s on purpose? Was it that he thought that the new stadium would cost him a lot so he waited another 38 years to do it or was it because of something else?

7. Anthony Gonzalez on January 17th, 2019 8:42 AM

I saw a flaw while reading the article in the fourth paragraph when you said “They missed their chance on moving to Los Angeles to the Los Angeles Rams.”

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

California Fires

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Informational

Should smoking and vaping be banned?

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

Do people actually accomplish their New Year’s resolution?

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

Darkness over Bikini Bottom

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Events

Midterm elections: The future of politics

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Informational

Loving LGBTQ+

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

Will Older Music Fade Away?

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

Telltale games shutting down

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Entertainment

Should Teenagers Continue Trick-or-Treating?

• “Las Vegas” Raiders?

Events

The Luna Chalk Art Festival

“Las Vegas” Raiders?