Frequent Rain in Northern California

What is the first place you think of when you hear rain? You’re probably thinking about Oregon or Washington, but you never think of California. In the last two months of 2018, it had been raining frequently specifically in San Jose. San Jose is known for having warm weather, not for frequent rain.

For the past couple of years, San Jose has had very little rain, for instance in 2017, all San Jose got was about 1-2 to weeks of rain altogether. Rain helps many plants and animals function properly. Water is a basic need for all living organisms. Humans can only last for a couple of days before every cell in their body stops functioning because of lack of water.

The scientific reason why it has been a raining a lot is because of the water cycle. The heat from the sun evaporates the water and turns it into water vapour which rises into the air. That was happening all year and by the end of the year the water molecules condensed into a many rain clouds and precipitated therefore it went back down in the Bay Area/San Jose.

According to the source, average yearly precipitation for California Cities Current Results “Northern California got a total of 668.9 inches of rain last year with a span of 2,049 days all over California.” That amount of days in a year might not make sense, but it’s actually all of the cities days added together. If it rained in two cities on the same day, its counted as 2 days. It rained the most in San Francisco and Petaluma with a combined total of 50.4 inches of rain last year (SF 23.7 Inches Petaluma 26.7 Inches) In a span of 146 days; both San Francisco and Petaluma had a 73 day span.

Rain is essential life without water every living thing will eventually die. California gets 17 inches of rain yearly. At Adventure STEM Academy were interviewed on their thoughts about the span of days that kept raining a month ago, Rowan Edwards a student that goes to Herman/AdVenture says, “It didn’t feel well because it got in the way of my outdoor activities.” Andrew Coscarelli, another student at AdVenture stem here are his thoughts on the rainy days, “It’s nice because we don’t have a lot of rain.”

Then they were asked how does it affect them personally? Rowan says that, “Like I said in the first question you asked me, it affects my outdoor activities.” Andrew Coscarelli says otherwise, “It doesn’t affect me personally, it’s just nice to see the rain.” Then they were asked if they think that what’s happening is a good or bad thing? Andrew Coscarelli says, “It’s a good thing.” Rowan also says, “It’s good.” Too. They were then asked if they have ever lived in areas where it rained often, Rowan says, “Most of the time because I have to travel between two houses.” Andrew Coscarelli says, “No, I lived in San Jose My whole life.”

Anthony Gonzalez another student at Herman/AdVenture says how it affects  him personally, “It affects me because I don’t get enough exercise and I get lazy and I’m trying to stay in shape.” The students were asked on their opinion if they would prefer snow, here are their thoughts, “I prefer snow more than rain because you could actually do some activities outside other than rain because when it’s raining it’s all wet and slippery.” That was Anthony Gonzalez on his opinion.

Another student that goes to AdVenture named Anthony Valle. “I prefer it to rain cause if it snows, it’s going to be colder out so you don’t want to play.” Andrew Coscoreli from Herman AdVenture. Anthony Gonzalez was asked of he thinks the rain is affecting people badly and here is what he has to say, “I don’t think it’s affecting people baldy because it would less likely to get in a drought.”

As you can see, San Jose was never known for it frequent rain and by the end of the year it started to rain frequently. Northern California had a total of 668.9 inches of rain last year in a span of 2,049 days, while and it rained the most in San Francisco and Petaluma with a combined total of 50.4 inches of rain last year (SF q23.7 Inches Petaluma 26.7 Inches) In a span of 146 days; both San Francisco and Petaluma had a 73 day span.