Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Don’t you remember the good times you had with your family when you are sitting in front of a TV watching Spongebob? The show about a talking sponge always got the attention from children and adults no matter the age. Everyone knows the name of the show, but never know why it was made or who it was made by. Stephen Hillenburg put his life into making Spongebob and helping work on other shows, but that life is sadly over. Stephen Hillenburg was a great man that passed away on November 26, 2018 at San Marino, California, U.S.

Hillenburg died because of the Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS), a progressive neurodegenerative disease. ALS is nervous system disease that weakens muscles and impacts your physical functions. The disease also destroys nerve cells and can cause disabilities.

When Stephen Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS, he made a public appearance in March of 2017 and said,“I wanted people to hear directly from me that I have been diagnosed with ALS. Anyone who knows me knows that I will continue to work on SpongeBob SquarePants and my other passions for as long as I am able. My family and I are grateful for the outpouring of love and support. We ask that our sincere request for privacy be honored during this time.”

Stephen Hillenburg was phenomenal student, getting a degree on natural resource planning. After graduating, Hillenburg became a marine biology teacher at Dana Point, California. However, that was just the start of his career. Hillenburg also attended CalArts earning a degree in animation. While Hillenburg was at CalArts during 1992, he created two short animations called “The Green Beret”and “Wormholes.”. In 1993, Hillenburg was offered a position working for Nickelodeon’s Rocko’s Modern Life.

Viewers have many different opinions on Spongebob, some good and others not so much. Jude Ochoa was interviewed about what he thought Stephen Hillenburg’s death. “When I heard Spongebob was getting canceled I got upset, because I enjoyed watching the show,” Jude said during our interview. Jude also stated that, “ I do think the show is suitable for younger audiences, with a few adult jokes.”

“It’s aimed at younger audiences, but with adult humor,” Mrs. Zaccheo stated, a 5th and 6th grade teacher at Adventure STEM. Mrs Zaccheo has two kids, and they would all watch Spongebob together.
Stephen Hillenburg was a good man who brought joy to both children and adults alike, but nobody really knew who he was and what he did. Something that no one could take away from Hillenburg was that he was a kind, smart, creative and a dedicated man. He did everything he could to make Spongebob amazing, which for most, he did. Even though Stephen Hillenburg is gone, his legendary show Spongebob, will always live on in the hearts of his viewers.

About the Writers
Aubrey Mora, Reporter

Aubrey Mora has an attack dog, named Austin, but he's really sweet. She has an older sister which most people don't know and she also has a younger sister,...

Kayla Brown, Reporter

Kayla Brown is a hard working, independent person who loves doing activities with her family and friends. She is a 7th grade student who goes to AdVenture...

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Darkness over Bikini Bottom”

1. Aolani Rodriguez on January 17th, 2019 8:11 AM

Good job! I like your introduction paragraph.

2. Nikolai Ortega on January 17th, 2019 8:16 AM

It was a was good T,.V show that many people watched but I think this group did really good on this work.

3. Teresa S on January 17th, 2019 8:17 AM

Great job including lots of detail using strong vocabulary and lots of research!

4. Diego Flores on January 17th, 2019 8:22 AM

Nice hook.

5. Xavier Uy on January 17th, 2019 8:24 AM

I like how you picked a topic that the viewer can think about while reading this article.

6. Andrew Coscarelli on January 17th, 2019 8:26 AM

I agree that even though it’s sad the show is being cancelled, it’s legacy will continue to live on.

7. Rowan Edwards on January 17th, 2019 8:32 AM

While I was reading your article it got me wondering why Stephen Hillenburg said that “We ask that our sincere request for privacy be honored during this time”, at the end of paragraph 3. I don’t really know what he was talking about in that moment.

8. Ritika Samant on January 17th, 2019 8:33 AM

Nicely written article! I liked how you gave background knowledge on Stephen Hillenburg.

9. Jude Emanuel Ochoa on January 17th, 2019 8:34 AM

I like that they spoke about a topic I really care about because spongebob is my favorite show and hearing that the person that made this show passed away made me really sad.

10. Khaled Darwich on January 17th, 2019 8:42 AM

Lovely article! I liked how you interviewed both a student and a teacher about an opinion for Spongebob.

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

California Fires

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Memes

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Do people actually accomplish their New Year’s resolution?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

The magical new film in the Fantastic Beasts series

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Killer clowns. Are they back?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Is BO4 taking over the gaming community?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Is Fortnite Rotting Brains?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Is Call of Duty The New Fortnite?

Darkness over Bikini Bottom