Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Don’t you remember the good times you had with your family when you are sitting in front of a TV watching Spongebob? The show about a talking sponge always got the attention from children and adults no matter the age. Everyone knows the name of the show, but never know why it was made or who it was made by. Stephen Hillenburg put his life into making Spongebob and helping work on other shows, but that life is sadly over. Stephen Hillenburg was a great man that passed away on November 26, 2018 at San Marino, California, U.S.

Hillenburg died because of the Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS), a progressive neurodegenerative disease. ALS is nervous system disease that weakens muscles and impacts your physical functions. The disease also destroys nerve cells and can cause disabilities.

When Stephen Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS, he made a public appearance in March of 2017 and said,“I wanted people to hear directly from me that I have been diagnosed with ALS. Anyone who knows me knows that I will continue to work on SpongeBob SquarePants and my other passions for as long as I am able. My family and I are grateful for the outpouring of love and support. We ask that our sincere request for privacy be honored during this time.”

Stephen Hillenburg was phenomenal student, getting a degree on natural resource planning. After graduating, Hillenburg became a marine biology teacher at Dana Point, California. However, that was just the start of his career. Hillenburg also attended CalArts earning a degree in animation. While Hillenburg was at CalArts during 1992, he created two short animations called “The Green Beret”and “Wormholes.”. In 1993, Hillenburg was offered a position working for Nickelodeon’s Rocko’s Modern Life.

Viewers have many different opinions on Spongebob, some good and others not so much. Jude Ochoa was interviewed about what he thought Stephen Hillenburg’s death. “When I heard Spongebob was getting canceled I got upset, because I enjoyed watching the show,” Jude said during our interview. Jude also stated that, “ I do think the show is suitable for younger audiences, with a few adult jokes.”

“It’s aimed at younger audiences, but with adult humor,” Mrs. Zaccheo stated, a 5th and 6th grade teacher at Adventure STEM. Mrs Zaccheo has two kids, and they would all watch Spongebob together.
Stephen Hillenburg was a good man who brought joy to both children and adults alike, but nobody really knew who he was and what he did. Something that no one could take away from Hillenburg was that he was a kind, smart, creative and a dedicated man. He did everything he could to make Spongebob amazing, which for most, he did. Even though Stephen Hillenburg is gone, his legendary show Spongebob, will always live on in the hearts of his viewers.

About the Writers
Aubrey Mora, Reporter

Aubrey Mora has an attack dog, named Austin, but he's really sweet. She has an older sister which most people don't know and she also has a younger sister,...

Kayla Brown, Reporter

Kayla Brown is a hard working, independent person who loves doing activities with her family and friends. She is a 7th grade student who goes to AdVenture...

21 Comments

21 Responses to “Darkness over Bikini Bottom”

1. Aolani Rodriguez on January 17th, 2019 8:11 AM

Good job! I like your introduction paragraph.

2. Nikolai Ortega on January 17th, 2019 8:16 AM

It was a was good T,.V show that many people watched but I think this group did really good on this work.

3. Teresa S on January 17th, 2019 8:17 AM

Great job including lots of detail using strong vocabulary and lots of research!

4. Diego Flores on January 17th, 2019 8:22 AM

Nice hook.

5. Xavier Uy on January 17th, 2019 8:24 AM

I like how you picked a topic that the viewer can think about while reading this article.

6. Andrew Coscarelli on January 17th, 2019 8:26 AM

I agree that even though it’s sad the show is being cancelled, it’s legacy will continue to live on.

7. Rowan Edwards on January 17th, 2019 8:32 AM

While I was reading your article it got me wondering why Stephen Hillenburg said that “We ask that our sincere request for privacy be honored during this time”, at the end of paragraph 3. I don’t really know what he was talking about in that moment.

8. Ritika Samant on January 17th, 2019 8:33 AM

Nicely written article! I liked how you gave background knowledge on Stephen Hillenburg.

9. Jude Emanuel Ochoa on January 17th, 2019 8:34 AM

I like that they spoke about a topic I really care about because spongebob is my favorite show and hearing that the person that made this show passed away made me really sad.

10. Khaled Darwich on January 17th, 2019 8:42 AM

Lovely article! I liked how you interviewed both a student and a teacher about an opinion for Spongebob.

11. Lucas Fields on March 20th, 2019 2:08 PM

You didn’t talk much about what actually happened in the bikini bottom and more about the person who made it

12. Alaina Tran on March 20th, 2019 2:08 PM

The article did rightful justice to Stephen Hillenburg and it was very captivating through the end. For your next article, you should look over your final draft again to make sure that there are no grammatical errors/parts missing.

13. Lucas Fields on March 20th, 2019 2:09 PM

You did a great job on the person that made the bikini bottom.

14. Jenika Fernando on March 20th, 2019 2:09 PM

I love the hook!

15. Kenneth Nguyen on March 20th, 2019 2:09 PM

The article is a great article about the creator of Spongebob Squarepants, Stephen Hillenburg but the title is a little misleading. I expected to read about Bikini Bottom, the place in Spongebob or maybe an episode but the article was actually about the creator.

16. Emilie Ngo on March 20th, 2019 2:12 PM

This is a good article, but from the title, I had thought that the article would be more about Spongebob. This article was still a great article, but I would change the title so that it is not misleading.

17. Brandon Nguyen on March 20th, 2019 2:13 PM

Your article was really good actually! What I liked about your article was how you got really good answers on your interviews and also how you interviewed different genders of people and not being biased.

18. Hanna Dao on March 20th, 2019 2:17 PM

The article is very informationable, and I like that it talks more about the creator, and his accomplishments rather than just the show itself.

19. Manuel Parrish on March 21st, 2019 8:59 AM

Nice Article! I really liked how you gave a lot of information about Stephen Hillenburg. Nice Intro paragraph!

20. Isaiah Young on March 29th, 2019 7:40 PM

I like your introduction paragraph and you have a Nice hook.

21. Isaiah Young on March 29th, 2019 7:42 PM

Nice hook and I like how you talked about Stephen Hillenburg.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

2018-2019 Talent Show

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

The AdVenture School Dance

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

School Sports

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Why do you have social media?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Do You Feel Comfortable About Lying?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

• Darkness over Bikini Bottom

Entertainment

Have you ever felt guilty?

Darkness over Bikini Bottom