Filed under Opinion

Should teachers be paid more?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should teachers be paid more?

This picture is taken from https://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowledge-bank/2015/10/09/5-things-your-childs-teacher-might-believe-but-you-shouldnt

Teachers are amazing people. Some of the most amazing things that people learn are taught by their teachers. They deserve to be millionaires for the work and dedication they put into teaching a student about the world. In the Oak Grove School District, they supply knowledge to students for almost no cost on the student’s side other than fundraisers for the school or funds for field trips. But, in the modern society, teachers are paid so little that some teachers have to work multiple jobs to stay afloat.

Michelle Nehorai, currently a seventh grader at AdVenture, said, “Teachers should be paid more than their current salary because they spend so much time and effort grading papers, planning lessons and yelling at their students. They put a lot into teaching to get the best out of their students, and they should get more credit for that.” She feels sorry for the teachers and thinks they should be paid a lot more because of how hard they work and how stressful their life already is without having to deal with students and their assignments.

Amanda Tharp is also a seventh grader at AdVenture and she feels very strongly about how much teachers are paid. “I think that teachers have another life behind their life at school, and they have families that they have to take care of and buy food for and everything and with the salary that they’re getting is not enough to provide for their families,” Amanda said.

Makaylah Herbert, a seventh grade student at AdVenture, said that “Teachers are being paid so little because Oak Grove School District (OGSD) is suffering financially, so they don’t have enough money to pay teachers what they deserve. I think that if the district had more money, then the teachers would be paid what they deserve.”

According to the Public Policy Institute of California, over 50% of the funds for public schools in California come from the state. Public schools are also funded by property taxes and local sources (like school fundraisers) and the federal government. Silicon Valley is known for being a more wealthy area of California, since it’s the home of many famous tech companies, including Apple, Google, HP, Intel, and Cisco, which leads up to California being a more expensive state than others. If this is the case, then teachers in the Silicon Valley should be paid a lot more if public school districts are funded mainly by the state.

The Oak Grove School district is considered a low-income district because we are located in one of the more expensive areas of San Jose and not very many people can afford the rent or the mortgage, which proves that the district can’t afford to pay teachers as much as they deserve in this district. Even though this is the case, because this state is considered an expensive and wealthy state, the state officials should think about funding public schools more, and teachers could finally get what they deserve.

About the Writers
Anneke Laurence, Reporter

Anneke Laurence, a 7th grader that has been at AdVENTURE STEM since 5th grade, spent 5 months living without a kitchen or living room because her parents...

Jacob Lopez, Reporter

Jacob Lopez wakes up in the morning to a crested gecko hopping around, and an angry, gigantic bearded dragon. He is a 12 year old 7th grader at AdVENTURE...