Filed under Opinion

Should teachers be paid more?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should teachers be paid more?

This picture is taken from https://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowledge-bank/2015/10/09/5-things-your-childs-teacher-might-believe-but-you-shouldnt

Teachers are amazing people. Some of the most amazing things that people learn are taught by their teachers. They deserve to be millionaires for the work and dedication they put into teaching a student about the world. In the Oak Grove School District, they supply knowledge to students for almost no cost on the student’s side other than fundraisers for the school or funds for field trips. But, in the modern society, teachers are paid so little that some teachers have to work multiple jobs to stay afloat.

Michelle Nehorai, currently a seventh grader at AdVenture, said, “Teachers should be paid more than their current salary because they spend so much time and effort grading papers, planning lessons and yelling at their students. They put a lot into teaching to get the best out of their students, and they should get more credit for that.” She feels sorry for the teachers and thinks they should be paid a lot more because of how hard they work and how stressful their life already is without having to deal with students and their assignments.

Amanda Tharp is also a seventh grader at AdVenture and she feels very strongly about how much teachers are paid. “I think that teachers have another life behind their life at school, and they have families that they have to take care of and buy food for and everything and with the salary that they’re getting is not enough to provide for their families,” Amanda said.

Makaylah Herbert, a seventh grade student at AdVenture, said that “Teachers are being paid so little because Oak Grove School District (OGSD) is suffering financially, so they don’t have enough money to pay teachers what they deserve. I think that if the district had more money, then the teachers would be paid what they deserve.”

According to the Public Policy Institute of California, over 50% of the funds for public schools in California come from the state. Public schools are also funded by property taxes and local sources (like school fundraisers) and the federal government. Silicon Valley is known for being a more wealthy area of California, since it’s the home of many famous tech companies, including Apple, Google, HP, Intel, and Cisco, which leads up to California being a more expensive state than others. If this is the case, then teachers in the Silicon Valley should be paid a lot more if public school districts are funded mainly by the state.

The Oak Grove School district is considered a low-income district because we are located in one of the more expensive areas of San Jose and not very many people can afford the rent or the mortgage, which proves that the district can’t afford to pay teachers as much as they deserve in this district. Even though this is the case, because this state is considered an expensive and wealthy state, the state officials should think about funding public schools more, and teachers could finally get what they deserve.

About the Writers
Anneke Laurence, Reporter

Anneke Laurence, a 7th grader that has been at AdVENTURE STEM since 5th grade, spent 5 months living without a kitchen or living room because her parents...

Jacob Lopez, Reporter

Jacob Lopez wakes up in the morning to a crested gecko hopping around, and an angry, gigantic bearded dragon. He is a 12 year old 7th grader at AdVENTURE...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Should teachers be paid more?”

1. Ishita Misra on January 17th, 2019 8:36 AM

I loved the article! I think more people need to be aware of this topic so we can all change how we respect teachers.

2. Xavier Uy on March 20th, 2019 2:01 PM

I like the idea of where the article came from! I also like that there are so many people interviewed in this article.

3. Ariana Estrada on March 20th, 2019 2:27 PM

This article really spoke to me. Both of my parents are college teachers, and it takes my mom and dad about three hours to prep their classes, not to mention grading, emailing students back, etc. I don’t think students realize how much hard work teachers go through to be able to create a presentation, or projects, or classwork in general. I’m so glad you decided to write about this topic because I completely agree. Awesome job!

4. Rachel Ng on March 21st, 2019 8:26 AM

I think this article has a very good point. The information presented in this article helps the reader understand more about this topic. Good Job.

5. Kenneth Nguyen on March 21st, 2019 8:30 AM

The article is awesome because it talks about an important topic. Teachers should be paid more because they work hard to educate students. The statistics and interviews helps the reader get an opinion on the topic.

6. Sophie Campos on April 17th, 2019 10:11 PM

This article had me hooked from the beginning to the end. I strongly agree with the fact that teachers should get paid more. My parent is a highschool teacher and it may get very stressful for her at times when she has to come home and yell at her three kids, and sometimes husband, for something they did and top of all that, the payment that she gets is barely enough to cover some home expenses and in the end, she can never have time to herself. I also just wanted to say that I love the fact that people could be more aware of this situation because of the amazing article you guys wrote. Wonderful job.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Should teachers be paid more?

Informational

Middle School Struggles – Podcast

• Informational

How to Keep the Productivity Alive: TED Talk

• Should teachers be paid more?

Events

The End of Year Project

• Should teachers be paid more?

Informational

Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

• Should teachers be paid more?

Entertainment

School Sports

• Should teachers be paid more?

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• News

Ted Talk: Global Warming

• Should teachers be paid more?

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

• Should teachers be paid more?

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• Should teachers be paid more?

Opinion

What do you think the meaning of life is?

Should teachers be paid more?