Loving LGBTQ+

Back to Article
Back to Article

Loving LGBTQ+

Have you heard the term LGBTQ+ before? Many people have heard of it, but do not know what it means. LGBTQ+ stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer, and the “+” stands for every other sexuality or gender there is. The LGBTQ+ community is a community of people who are of either a different sexuality or a different gender than their ‘assigned’ one. If this explanation seemed a bit shaky, think of parents explaining to their kids what Gay or Transgender is. The number of children who know about LGBTQ+ and LGBTQ+ youth is growing, but there is still a large amount of children that don’t know exactly what it is.

LGBTQ+ youth have been growing lately and many people are joining the movement. Charities that help these youth are also receiving help and many people are thankful to them. Even though support of LGBTQ+ is overwhelming, the facts are that 42% of these youth live in a community that is not accepting.

The sexuality of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual–the ones stated in the acronym–all mean different things. Lesbian is when a woman is emotionally or sexually attracted to other women, Gay is when a person is emotionally or sexually attracted to their same gender, yet it is mainly used to describe men. Bisexual is when someone is emotionally or sexually attracted to more than one gender (Ex. A Female attracted to Males and Females, A Male attracted to Females and non-binaries, etc.). We’ve gotten this far, so what about Transgender? Well, Transgender isn’t a sexual orientation- a sexuality -but it is a part of gender identity. (See Dimensions of Gender — Patriot Power)

Some people hear the term “Gay” or “Trans” from TV shows, as the LGBTQ+ community has been expanding over to TV. Shows such as “Modern Family” have expanded on this, as it has  characters that are openly gay, and they have a storyline of their own. In some episodes, they even dig deeper and the characters defend gays. Even though that show is mainly comedy, the way they touch on the society is thoughtful, and it is great that they expand on this subject.

I’m a part of the LGBTQ+ community, and some people know, but I still haven’t came out to adults, as I’m nervous to do so. -Anonymous

Arvand Bugwadia, a 7th grade AdVenture student stated, “I definitely support the LGBTQ+ community, because you should be who you want to be.” When asked about the increasing number of LGBTQ+ youth, he said the following: “It’s a good thing that people are showing who they really are, even if they are youth.”. Michelle Nehorai, who is also a 7th grade student at AdVenture STEM said,“It’s good, since people are finding out who they are.”

Even though awareness of LGBTQ+ is spreading, there are many people who aren’t in a supporting community or people who have grown up in one. Some of them are highly rude to the community for no reason at all except for the fact that they are “weird” and “different”. This harshly impacts LGBTQ+ youth, since “92% of LGBT youth say that they hear negative messages about being LGBT.” says a statistics report, Growing up LGBT in America.

So, what’s the difference between LGBT and LGBTQ+? Well, they stand for the same thing, the community of people, but since the different sexualities have grown over the years, more and more people started to use LGBTQ or LGBTQ+ instead of LGBT. More recently, people have started to use LGBTQIA+, as the I stands for Intersex (More on that on an article, What does it mean to be intersex?), and the A can stand for many things, such as asexual, when a person doesn’t feel sexual attraction to other people, agender, when someone doesn’t identify as any particular gender, aromantic, when a person doesn’t feel romantic attraction to others, or Ally, which is everyone who is an ally to the LGBTQ+ community and supports them.

The LGBTQ+ community can and will go on, adding more and more groups so that everyone will feel included. Even if there is a rise of awareness for these different people, there will still be people who will hate them for who they love and who they are. This article is just one small step to open up to different people, and help them know more.

About the Writers
Hannah Muñoz, Reporter

Hannah Muñoz is an internet expert, she has used it for many things, from browsing memes, to playing retro games, to watching a lot of anime, and of course,...

Phoebe Luong, Reporter

Phoebe would spend her days teleporting around the world as a real-life witch if it was possible. She is a reporter for the Patriot Power. She is a seventh...