Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Every second, minute, hour, and day, many people carry around and use their phones wherever and whenever. What is so important on their phones? Is it for communication? Safari? Social media? Checking the news or  playing games? What people do on their phones can vary depending on the person.

Phones have been around for a long time, but only recently has tech gotten more advanced. Many people nowadays can be more lazy and spend more time on their phones than outside. People have become so addicted to their phones, 91.5% feel uncomfortable leaving their phone at home and 62% of people check their phone at least 160 times per day.

54.5% of people use their phone/look while they’re driving. Even though there are been laws about using phones while driving, more than half of the people end up using their phone anyways. There have been over 1.6 million accidents alone due to people on their phones and 300,000 injuries.

Without driving incidents alone, there have been other problems due to phones. Some of the problems are disconnection with others, damage to the spine & neck, and can even cause sleeping problems. When looking at a screen before bed, it puts you in a state of alertness which is something you don’t want have before going to 

Hadley Arndt, a 7th grade student in AdVenture STEM, says, “I use my phone daily for around three to five hours. I use that device to go on social media like Instagram, Snapchat, also Youtube.” Her favorite app is Instagram since she can chat with friends, browse through the explore tab, like different people’s post, and even share what she does.

Makaylah Hebert, a 7th grade student at AdVenture, says she uses her phone to watch Youtube and Netflix. “I spend around eight hours using her phone and she favorite app is Youtube,” she said. She thinks that her phone is important because she can talk to people and use it when she’s bored.

Hanna Dao, another 7th grade AdVenture student, told us that she spends around five or more hours on her phone. I use things like social media (Snapchat & Instagram) and games of a variety,”. Hanna has become addicted to using her phone and would use her phone often when she’s bored.

Most students that use a phone have at least an account on a social media network. Instagram is the most common social media that students have these days. The reason why it’s so popular is because allows users to be able to talk with many friends (real & online), share post, and see what other people are doing in life.

In the real world, most people spend their life on social media. The most popular social media is Facebook since 90.6% of people use Facebook. Instagram, coming at second has 62.8%. Instagram and Facebook are run by the same company so there are a lot of similarities between these apps.

Phones have changed the lives of many around us. Some people have had good experiences or bad experiences from these little devices. It’s no surprise that many people, including minors, have phones these days. Some areas of the world even have laws where you can’t use your phone in certain areas like crossing the road. Maybe in the future, phones will be even worse than it is in 2018.  

About the Writers
Rachel Ng, Reporter

Rachel Ng enjoys drawing, hanging out with friends and thinking of ideas. She is currently a 7th grade student in the AdVenture STEM Program. She cares...

Amanda Tharp, Reporter

Amanda Tharp's favorite sport is volleyball and currently has a goal of being a doctor. Her favorite subject in school so far is elective because she enjoys...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Wasting lives on their phones. Why?”

1. Kylie Gu on January 17th, 2019 8:36 AM

I enjoy reading about what is happening around us with technology and our lives being wasted on our phones.

2. Kathleen Ha on January 17th, 2019 8:37 AM

I like how you put in interviews of people saying what they like doing on their phones, that kinda shows proof on how people are addicted/”wasting their lives on their phones”.

3. Jenika Fernando on March 20th, 2019 2:12 PM

I enjoyed the fact that they chose a topic that will grasp a certain audience for it is something we as middle schoolers often ask ourselves. Their title also hooks the audience right away.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

2018-2019 Talent Show

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

The AdVenture School Dance

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

School Sports

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Why do you have social media?

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Do You Feel Comfortable About Lying?

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Is Trying Too Hard To Be Happy Making You Sad?

• Wasting lives on their phones. Why?

Entertainment

Have you ever felt guilty?

Wasting lives on their phones. Why?