Filed under News, Sports

Rise or Fall of the Earthquakes?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rise or Fall of the Earthquakes?

The San Jose Earthquakes have not been playing so exceptionally lately. Currently, the San Jose Earthquakes are at the bottom of the Western Conference bracket of the Major League Soccer (MLS). They have won four games, tied 9 games, and lost 21 games this season. As a result, the San Jose Earthquakes hired a new coach, Matias Almeyda, who will start coaching the Earthquakes in 2019.

Born in Azul, Buenos Aires Province, Matías Almeyda played professional soccer for the national team of Argentina. Almeyda played the position of a defensive midfielder, which is a position that requires lots of skills. He played for nine different teams including Club Atletico River Plate, Sevilla Futbol Club, Società Sportiva Lazio, Parma Calcio, Internazionale, or more commonly known as Inter Milan, Brescia Calcio, Quilmes AC, Lyn, and Club Atletico Fenix. He also has represented Argentina in two of the World Cups (1998 and 2002). In 2011, he retired as a professional soccer player.

After he retired, Almeyda started coaching professional teams in River Plate in 2011. He also managed the Club Atletico River Plate after he retired. He helped them earn Primera B Nacional and put the River Plate back in the top division in 2011-12. Almeyda left the club in November of 2012. Then in 2013, he signed with Club Atletico Banfield in the Argentine second level. The last team he coached before he signing on with the Earthquakes was the Chivas from the Liga MX.

On the fifteenth of September, 2015, Matias Almeyda was appointed manager of the “Chivas” Guadalajara and started coaching them in September of 2015, while the club were having trouble. Throughout his career of coaching Matias Almeyda won two Copa MX, the super Copa MX, and a CONCACAF Champions League with the Chivas. After winning so many titles Matias Almeyda became more popular with the Chivas fans, but made them devastated after hearing that he left the club in June.

Matias Almeyda really enjoys playing and watching/coaching soccer because he said, “There’s great soccer everywhere.”. In a ESPN article where they interviewed him, he also quoted that “There’s no ideal location or style in soccer. I like to go places where there’s good conditions and creativity and seriousness in the project. That’s why I’m here. To be honest I had other opportunities to go other places, but in none of them did I feel like I feel here,” Matias Almeyda also said that he would decide on a assistant coach at the end of this season before he starts coaching. Matias Almeyda is also going to be the first Latino coach in Earthquakes history which can be help to expand the team’s potential additions.

People stated that they see success for the Earthquakes in Matias Almeyda or that they hope of something from him while coaching the San Jose Earthquakes. Matias Almeyda is always positive as a player or a coach and can redirect a team into the right direction in a hard situation with commitment. An example of that someone stated they see success for the Earthquakes in Matias Almeyda is in that same article in the previous paragraph, ESPN also interviewed the general manager of the Earthquakes, Jesse Fioranelli.

He stated, “What we saw in Matias was a coach that brought success by creating a culture we strive to emulate. He has demonstrated leadership qualities in Argentina with River Plate, Banfield, as well as in Mexico with the Chivas.” The contract with the Chivas allowed Matias Almeyda to be able to coach the Argentina or Mexico national team. Matias even mentioned as a candidate to coach Costa Rica’s national team. From all these opportunities, it led him to coaching a team in the MLS.

Christian Miyoko and Anthony Gonzalez, 7th graders in AdVenture STEM, stated that they see success for the Earthquakes coming years because of Matias Almeyda. Enzo Gaskill, another 7th grader at AdVenture said, “I think the team would have to get to know Matias Almeyda, and his style of play in soccer, for them to become a better team in general.” Enzo also stated, “Matias Almeyda sounds like a good coach because I’ve heard that he has played in two World Cups and played for Argentina.”

The San Jose Earthquakes have a few points and are currently at the bottom of the Western Conference Bracket with 20 points and four wins. They have conceded a league-high 69 goals this season. Almeyda becomes the third Argentine to be named coach of an MLS franchise, joining current Atlanta United manager Tata Martino and Carlos Cordola, who coached the Miami Fusion in 1998. Let’s hope that the Earthquakes will have a better season with Matias Almeyda.

About the Writers
Christian Miyoko, Reporter

Christian Miyoko, also know Try Hard Miyoko, is a reporter for the Patriot Power Publication. Christian is currently a 7th grader at the AdVenture STEM...

Anthony Gonzalez, Reporter

Anthony Gonzalez is currently a 7th grader at AdVenture STEM Program and loves watching Star Wars movies. He is a hard worker and a very helpful student....