Is Caffeine Bad For Children?

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Many adults like to start their morning with a cup of coffee, which powers them through the day. That is because coffee contains a chemical known as caffeine. Most teas contain caffeine, especially black tea. Another popular source of caffeine is soda. Soda like Pepsi or Cola has a high caffeine level, which is probably why parents don’t let kids take their daily dose of soda before bed or with dinner. But lately people have been wondering, “Is caffeine good for you?”

 The answer is that it can be both healthy and unhealthy. Too much can cause symptoms such as jitteriness, nervousness, headaches, and increased blood sugar levels, according to Healthline. But if you have the right amount, it can get you through the day while increasing alertness and focus. Americans consumption of coffee has driven the success of stores such as Peet’s and Starbucks. Starbucks has grossed $311,803,003,387 since it was created in 1989, 29 years ago.

Hadley Arndt, currently a 7th grader at AdVenture, said that she drinks things that have caffeine in them for these reasons: “I used to drink caffeine and get energy, but that doesn’t really happen anymore,” she said.

Sean-Tan Dieu, also a 7th grader at AdVenture, said that he drinks things that have caffeine in them because he’s tired. “I drink just a little coffee. Too much makes me stay up the entire night, then I crash the next morning.” 

Kaelyn Gormely, currently a 7th grader at AdVenture, said that she drinks things that have caffeine like a superhero. “I feel the power when I drink caffeine,” she said.

According to our survey 100% of students’ parents drank coffee. 70% of people felt energy when they drank coffee or tea. 60% of people drank caffeinated drinks, while the other 40% drank none. Everyone had an opinion about caffeinated drinks.