Filed under Showcase, Sports

NFL Draft 2018

This year’s NFL draft was one to remember. The players were the ones who were drawn by thirty-two NFL teams. The NFL draft drafts players from colleges and universities all over the United States. The draft began at 6:00 pm in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium on Thursday, April 26 through Saturday, April 28, 2018.  This year’s draft was the 83rd annual draft with 256 players who were drafted.

The 2018 NFL Draft was the 83rd annual meeting of NFL to select eligible players for the 2018 NFL season. This draft was the first to be held in a NFL stadium and the first to take place in Texas. There was so much history made in the first round of the draft. Five quarterbacks were drafted in the first round and that has not happened since 1999. The first pick of this year’s NFL draft was a quarterback (QB) named Baker Mayfield. For the first time ever, a pair of siblings were both drafted in the first round. Their names were Terrell Edmunds (Safety) and his brother Tremaine Edmunds (Linebacker).

Andrew Taormina and Cyrus Ghassemian are both 7th graders who go to AdVenture STEM and like to play and watch football. They both watched the NFL draft, but like different teams. Cyrus likes the San Francisco 49ers while Andrew likes the Seattle Seahawks.

When Cyrus was asked if there was a certain player that he wanted to be on his team, he said,“Yes, but it’s not a player, it’s a position”.  

Andrew was asked what story inspired him the most. Andrew said, “There was one story that was very interesting and inspiring. We drafted a player with one hand named Shaquem Griffin. No one ever thought he would ever make it, and they always turned him down.”

During the draft, the first picks were mostly players who performed well in college and in the combine (where college football players perform physical and mental tests in front of coaches and scouts). Expectations are always high for players selected early in the draft. The quarterback is one of the most important positions on a football team. They make make the biggest decisions, and the team relies on the quarterback to make timely plays. In total, there were thirteen quarterbacks drafted. The position that was drafted the most in the 2018 Draft were linebackers. There were 39 linebackers drafted.

The 83rd annual draft with 32 NFL teams was one to remember. There were 256 players who were drawn. There were five quarterbacks drawn in the first round. The NFL Draft was hosted inside the NFL Stadium in Texas. Early on in the draft, expectations are high for players who are picked. This was not just a interesting event to watch, but the draft could be the turning point for the teams. 

About the Writers
Lucas Perez, Photo/Editor

Lucas Perez is a reporter for the Patriot Power publication. He's a student at AdVenture STEM whose favorite subjects are math and science. He thinks the...

Nicolas Ramos, Reporter

Nicolas Ramos is a student at AdVenture. He is a 7th grader and has been attending this school for three years. He plays soccer, loves to go outside and...