Filed under Entertainment, Events

Ski Week’s Snow

What had started out as a normal trip to a cabin in Yosemite, typically  uneventful, turned out to be much, much, more. During the Winter Break, which is commonly referred to as ‘Ski Week’, Ariel Velasquez and her extended family visited their cabin in Yosemite. Ariel thought that the trip would be pretty boring. She visited her Grandma and Aunt every weekend, so this trip to see them didn’t seem special. As she packed her bags the night before, she didn’t know how truly special this trip would be.

Sunday morning, February 18th, they set off for the cabin. The trip could be described as ‘spicy’ but not for the reason you might think. They had bought several bags of Takis to bring with them as snacks and Wendy’s as lunch. A standard road trip. But, this is not where the story begins. This is still the prologue.

When they arrived, the magical scene they imagined of snow was trashed  in the blink of an eye. Everywhere was ice and slush; in other words, no snow. But, there was still hope for the natural surroundings. It was still nature after all. So maybe the first impression and hope wasn’t successful, but maybe the next one would be.

Here is where our main character’s story truly starts. The first day was uneasy and unsettling. They were all unpacking and the atmosphere was filled with discomfort. When night time came, they were all asleep, worn from the travel and stress.

The next morning was colder than when they had arrived the previous day. The time was mostly spent watching movies and with each movie they talked. They were forced to be around each other for a long time. There was a light dusting of snow that evening. It was calm, peaceful, and warm. Staying inside the cabin and watching even more movies, alleviated problems away. Now they were on vacation, even if they were not going on a crazy escapade. Maybe, sometimes, vacation has to be described as just comfortable.

With each movie and each moment, and for every shared memory, the snow grew thicker. It felt like a snowstorm was approaching. Of course, nobody could really tell until it is upon them. That night, was a white night.

This time, the next morning was different from the one previous. You could feel it in the air, and. They felt it. It was absolutely freezing. The snow had come. Every place near them was covered by a white, powdery blanket. 

A connection with the outdoors sounds like a cliche but describes her experience exactly. This was more than the cliche. This was their snow. Later that day, they arrived home. It was warm. There was no snow or any cold whatsoever. It was mostly rainy and dark. But they would all never forget the day that it had snowed. 

About the Contributors
Elizabeth Felchlin, Reporter
Elizabeth is currently a 13 year old student at AdVENTURE STEM whose favorite subjects are math and PE. She likes the AdVenture program because they use tech in all their classes (except for PE) and work in groups often. Working in groups helps Elizabeth form closer bonds with other classmates and get used to working...
Ariel Velasquez, Editor in Chief
Ariel is currently a 7th grader at AdVenture STEM. When Ariel found out that she was going to be taking Digital Journalism, she was very excited and couldn’t wait to get started. Ariel is also a very athletic student; she loves to do soccer, gymnastics, sprinting, and playing volleyball. She is hoping to make the...