Filed under News, Opinion

LGBTQ+ Discrimination

LGBTQA+ supporters fight for equal rights, Warsaw pride parade, 2016.

People in the LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, etc.) community face discrimination and hatred every day. Many lesbian and gay youth, about 80%, report feeling severely isolated socially. In addition to that, many parents of LGBTQ+ children believe that they can “fix” the children’s sexuality or gender by sending their kids to therapy. Being a part of the LGBTQ+ community does not mean you are broken, and there is nothing to fix.

Even some people who say they support LGBTQ+ can be discriminating. They often forget about the things notin the acronym in LGBTQ+. There is a sexuality called Ace (or asexual and aromantic), that is almost alway ignored. People who are Ace are often forgotten and ignored. Many of them are told that they can’t possibly not feel sexual attraction and they just want attention. In some places, people can’t even tell anyone lest they be ridiculed and laughed at, and possibly beaten.

It’s not just the people who are Ace who have it bad. 42% of LGBTQ+ youth live in an unwelcoming environment, and 38.5% stated that discrimination has negatively impacted their school and learning space. In many areas, homophobia and transphobia (homophobic is the term for people who hate LGBTQ+ people, transphobic for those who hate people with an “abnormal” gender) is so bad that people are scared to come out, and no one should be scared to be who they are. All people should be free to love who they want and adopt the pronouns they want, but sadly, they aren’t.

I am pansexual, but nobody knew what that meant when I came out, so I had to do a lot of explaining. ”

— Anonymous

It wasn’t until June 26, 2015 that the US supreme court finally legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states. Pride rallies and illegal marriages have been taking place since before the 1970s, and finally the LGBTQA+ community celebrated being allowed to marry legally. But there is still a lot of hatred toward them. Just because the US supreme court said same-sex marriage was legal, that doesn’t change the minds of many horrible people. A same-sex couple has to look very hard in order to find a place they can live where they will not be at risk of being attacked or hurt.

Places such as Idaho, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Michigan still have a lack of protection for members of the LGBTQ+ community. Same-sex families who live there constantly fear for their lives, and LGBTQ+ children often remain closeted (or in hiding) for a good portion of their childhood, sometimes into adulthood as well. Gender identity is even worse. 49 of our 50 states don’t have laws for gender-neutral, single-occupancy restrooms. In fact, only California does.

In California, there are so many different types of people that prejudice is almost nonexistent. Homophobia and transphobia is not accepted by anyone, and pretty much every coffee shop is an LGBTQ+ safe house. If you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community, and you need a safe place to live, California is a good idea. However, the LGBTQ+ community is still fighting for their rights to love who they love, and be called what they want. If you can, go to pride rallies or donate to charities that support LGBTQ+ people, and help kids grow up safe.

About the Writers
Eli Stahl, Reporter
Eli Stahl is a 7th grader at AdVenture STEM. She is currently 12 years old. She has curly blonde hair with dark brown roots. Eli loves to take photos and videos. She adores reading, and has at least 50 shelves of books.
Elizabeth Felchlin, Reporter
Elizabeth is currently a 13 year old student at AdVENTURE STEM whose favorite subjects are math and PE. She likes the AdVenture program because they use tech in all their classes (except for PE) and work in groups often. Working in groups helps Elizabeth form closer bonds with other classmates and get used to working...
3 Comments

3 Responses to “LGBTQ+ Discrimination”

1. Angelina Ongolea on March 15th, 2018 2:00 PM

Woah I did not know that this was a big problem, now that I have read your article I can see that this is a big issue. Thanks for informing me about this. Your article is great.

[Reply]

2. Hannah Nguyen on March 15th, 2018 6:07 PM

Thank you for speaking on this topic! This is such a big problem and should be spoken about.

[Reply]

3. L. Johnston on March 15th, 2018 7:09 PM

Good job ladies! It is a BIG issue especially with young adults. Suicide rates double for these kids! I am so proud of your generation for being so open minded.

[Reply]

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Immigration is important

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Stephen Hawking–an inspiration to many

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

The Losses. The March.

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Status on Student Council

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

The last male of a subspecies dies at age 45

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Toys R Us is coming to a end!

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

Entertainment

Winter Break Mall Adventures

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

Entertainment

Powerful Women’s Rights Play

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Taking care of a newborn

• LGBTQ+ Discrimination

News

Winter Break: Winter Olympics

LGBTQ+ Discrimination