Teacher Heroes in Disguise

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Heroes in Disguise

Lucas Perez, Reporter

As the saying goes, not all heroes wear capes. Heroes can be anyone. But there is always a group of people who are rarely recognized under the category ‘hero’. And those people are teachers. How do teachers become heroes? They have been there, wanting the best for you. Teachers can change the way you think. It is not always easy to change a student’s life through teaching. Teachers give you inspiration. Teachers can be a trusted source of advice for many students. They have the answer to all of your questions.

If you think about it, teachers are the ones who train you and push you so hard so that you can have a successful life. No matter what grade, teachers are guiding you to the next level of education.  One such teacher is Mrs. Garcia in the AdVenture STEM program. Mrs. Garcia teaches STEM electives and science to all grades. She says,”I teach to empower students to become creators of knowledge.”

When asked if she thinks of herself as a hero, she said she loves her work. Mrs. Garcia has been teaching for ten years and she said, “ I plan to keep teaching ’till students get bored of me.”Mrs. Garcia had to go back to school and then come to a classroom in front of a bunch of students. She said that it was rough for her because she is a little shy and it took a while to get use to teaching. She was also able to write and share her teaching on KQED. 

Teachers like her not only love their job but they want to be in the classroom for a long time. Having to grade things from five different classes sounds really hard. The hardest thing is to have five classes of kids in different grade levels. And to do that for a whole year, is a powerful in itself.  Teaching is arguably one of the hardest jobs ever.

In conclusion, teachers have to go through a lot just to benefit students, so students have a chance at a great life.  Staying after school for hours grading work, for five days every week. It’s like teachers get no break. That, alone, requires super power and is something heroic.. And without teachers, students would not be who they are today.