Is High School Healthy?

Jayden Stahl, High School freshman.

Eli Stahl, Reporter

High School. A place students go when they graduate from eighth grade. Some students look forward to it; some dread it. Either way, most students complete high school and a lot of students go onto college. But that’s not what this is about.

High school is said to be one of the most stressful times in a teenager’s life. Filled with homework, gossip, and finals, many students struggle with the amount of stuff they must do. For four years, at least, students wake up early in the morning, work all day, and go home late, only to do more of the same the next day. On top of that, many parents are harsh, and won’t accept grades lower than an ‘A’. 

Jayden Stahl, a freshman at Santa Teresa High, wakes up at 6:00 AM every day to go to school. He takes six classes, along with wrestling, and he is using online learning programs to work ahead.  Jayden is passing his classes, but with each day he retreats further into himself, no longer playing with his three younger siblings.

The most stressful part of high school is my parents pushing me to do things like sports and extracurriculars.”

— Jayden Stahl

This isn’t just Jayden. When questioned, many adults admit to having been introverted during high school, doing nothing but work. Statistics show that the pressure students feel to be perfect can cause depression, and eventually, suicidal thoughts. On top of that, there is peer pressure. Many students are friends with people who try to change who they are, telling friends that you aren’t cool unless you have this brand of shoes and that style shirt.

Students need their parents to confirm that they don’t need to get every question right, that it’s okay to fail a quiz. They need to feel like if they tell that a friend who is pressuring them to go away, it will be fine. They need support emotionally, to have someone build them a bridge across this difficult time.