A Young Girl’s Hero

Amelia King

Amelia King

Editor In Chief

“Depression was like a monster that’s always around. It makes you feel sad, alone, forgotten. Like everything and everyone around you just disappears. As if no one is there to support you anymore,” says Ariel Velasquez. Depression is an emotion and a mental illness. Many people worldwide are suffering from depression and don’t know how to cope with it. One of those people used to be Ariel Velasquez. Ariel battled depression for four years, and whenever she would try to work around it, she would end up being unsuccessful.

One day after school, Ariel bumped into a girl named Viviana Serrano. Viviana heard about Ariel’s depression and was curious how she can help. Viviana, however, was also going through depression, which recently occurred when her aunt passed away on November 19, 2017. Viviana knows how it feels to be depressed and how hard it can be. She mentioned, “Depression gets me at a really deep level. It’s there for a while or there’s times where I’m just sad, not necessarily depressed.”

During December in 2017, Ariel had been getting into arguments frequently with her mother, which made her depression worse. Ariel mentioned what was going on to Viviana in an effort to find help. Later that day, Viviana and Ariel had a long conversation about depression and how to handle it.

“Although, it may not feel like it’s getting better, it will. Sometimes it takes time. You’re important to so many people, and one day I hope you can see that,” Viviana told Ariel. Those words were something Ariel had heard before but always ignored. Hearing it from Viviana was different; she actually listened to what she said, and believed it was true. Before Ariel knew it, her depression went away.

“I’m very happy, relieved, and blessed to know that Ariel’s going to be okay. Ariel is my best friend, and I love her so much. I know I wouldn’t be able to cope with losing another person,” says Viviana.

Viviana is aware of how much she’s impacted Ariel’s life and is hoping to help others who are also going through depression. So here’s a message to you from Viviana, “If you are going through your own struggles right now, I don’t want you to let it bring you down, because it’s going to be okay. I promise.”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “A Young Girl’s Hero”

1. Elizabeth Felchlin on February 12th, 2018 8:18 AM

This is an inspiring story for others that may have depression, or know somebody close to them that has it. I feel like this is very empowering and more people will find the courage to speak up about it because of the positive outcome of this story. I like how you made some else’s story intertwine with this hero though, and it ads a personal spin on a hero story, which I think, ads an element that hooks readers. Depression, Anxiety, and other mental illnesses deeply impact people’s lives and I’m very glad, that at our age, people are already talking about it, and acknowledging + addressing it.

[Reply]

2. Sasha McLin on February 12th, 2018 8:24 AM

Good Job Ariel! I liked how you explained how it felt.

[Reply]

3. Angelina Ongolea on February 12th, 2018 8:28 AM

Knowing that you were a victim of depression just hurts itself, but having other people there with you, that has experienced depression it kind of helps. I’m sorry I wasn’t that person but I am happy that you are the way you are now. Your article is very touching and I felt a lot of emotions when reading this. Now people can tie into your story and soon you will realize that you are the hero of many. Good Job!

[Reply]

4. Eli Stahl on February 12th, 2018 8:28 AM

Good job making it clear that depression is a big issue, and being very strict about not including jokes.

[Reply]

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Dimensions of Gender

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Herman’s Track and Field Team

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

The death of a legend–Avicii

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Dangers for LGBTQ+ youth

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Was the iPhone 9 a Mistake?

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Coding. Why it’s important.

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Do video games affect kids sleep?

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

Hey, What is an Ostrich Farm?

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Features

3, 2, 1… Happy New Year!

• A Young Girl’s Hero

Entertainment

Favorite TV Shows to Binge Watch

A Young Girl’s Hero