Do video games turn your brain to mush?

Video Games: Intelligent or Idiotic?

Video Games: Intelligent or Idiotic?

Luke Pires and Nicolas Ramos

A lot of adults believe that there is a direct correlation of playing video games and a lack of intelligence. This ‘myth’ or ‘urban legend’, if you will, is incorrect. It is television that causes this, and since most people see television and video games to be similar, they expect the same results. There is a large difference, however. In television’s case, all the user does is sit and is fed the results. Video games make it so the player is always on their toes. They use reflexes, puzzle-solving and much more to reach the goal.

Another big question is why do kids enjoy playing video games? Based on survey results, the majority of children enjoy playing video games to escape reality. If they had a stressful day, or are feeling a little down, sometimes escaping to a magical world where you can fly through mountains or drive a motorcycle into a cyclops is just what they need. Even adults play video games, and some even make a living out of it by posting videos to Youtube.

An interview with a good friend of mine, August Pfeilsticker, further proves the theory. He stated he had all A’s in school AND plays a lot of video games, like League of Legends, an attack strategy game, Super Smash Brothers, a fighting game that tests instincts and reflexes, and Splatoon 2, a team-based warfare that relies on teamwork. He plays for about 30 minutes  a day. In response to if it gets in the way of schoolwork, August responded, “No, not really” and it doesn’t ever come before schoolwork.

If you ask me, I’d say the best type of video game to play is a strategy turn-based game. These games work a lot like chess, where one team moves their players across the map to attack the other team. A great example of this is the recent bestselling (and even a little confusing) “Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle” for the Nintendo Switch. This game has won over fifty awards including the “Best of E3” award.  I personally own this game and I actually even felt a little smarter playing it. You constantly need to be thinking at least two steps ahead for each of your three team members. Team member selection matters a lot as well. Do you like slow, hard-hitting heavyweights or do you prefer agile support characters? The choice is ultimately yours.

To recap, we have busted the myth of there being an direct correlation between video games and stupidity. They do, however, increase strength in other parts of the brain. This was originally just television, but it spread into the topic of video games. Video games can relieve stress, and even bring happiness. So I can finally say video games do NOT turn your brain to mush.

About the Writers
Luke Pires, Reporter

Luke has been at this school for three years. His interests include drawing, cartooning, video games and basketball. His favorite subject is science, because...

Nicolas Ramos, Reporter

Nicolas Ramos is a student at AdVenture. He is a 7th grader and has been attending this school for three years. He plays soccer, loves to go outside and...

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Do video games turn your brain to mush?”

1. Logan Perry on January 17th, 2018 9:39 AM

Great Article, the information given was very interesting.

2. Jeremy Van Ham on January 17th, 2018 9:42 AM

Great article, I love how you got an opinion from a teacher and a student.

3. Casey Fritzen on January 17th, 2018 9:43 AM

Great Article, I like that you interview a students with strait As and ask them

4. Michael Wilkinson on January 17th, 2018 9:44 AM

The article is great! I definitely agree with the opinion.

5. Nathaniel Ward on January 17th, 2018 9:44 AM

Good job on this article. I enjoyed reading it because this disproves the urban legend. The only thing I would add is that Splatoon 2, a turf war team game or something similar to that. Otherwise great article.

6. Owen Scheid on January 17th, 2018 9:46 AM

And this is why I don’t like watching TV!

7. Antonio Padilla on January 17th, 2018 9:46 AM

Some games told me some words that I didn’t even know they were in the dictionary. I totally agree with you, but sometimes I get bad headaches when i’m grinding competitive points in Overwatch.

8. Elizabeth Felchlin on January 17th, 2018 9:47 AM

Even though I helped out editing this article, it still reminds me of how different the opinions are on video games, and every time I feel like it opens my eyes more. The opinion of the teacher/adult really made the article special, because it showed an adult looking positively on video games.

9. Julian Gonzalez on January 17th, 2018 9:47 AM

The article was great because you stated true facts and you got proof with the interviews.

10. Lucas Perez on January 17th, 2018 9:52 AM

Great how you stated on how video games and tv are different in different games.

11. Athena Deleon on September 21st, 2018 2:21 PM

The article has a great way if stating your opinion with great details of how people are able to do their homework and play video games ending in great grades.

12. Emilio Martinez on September 21st, 2018 2:21 PM

The article is really good, I totally agree with the opinion about videogames.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Do video games turn your brain to mush?

Informational

Middle School Struggles – Podcast

• Informational

How to Keep the Productivity Alive: TED Talk

Events

The End of Year Project

Informational

Why is there no middle school Baseball Teams in the Oak Grove School District?

Entertainment

School Sports

Entertainment

The Meaning Behind Spring and Easter

• News

Ted Talk: Global Warming

Entertainment

Stan Lee’s Life

Entertainment

Is Fortnite taking over kids lives?

Opinion

What do you think the meaning of life is?

Do video games turn your brain to mush?