GPA requirement to participate in ASB to rise

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hannah Nguyen, Reporter

At Herman’s and AdVenture’s Appointed Student Body (ASB) meeting in the library on November 2, Joshua Du, the Herman President, made a motion to raise the grade point average (GPA) to participate in ASB. This will affect council members who are lacking the GPA requirements to participate.

Joshua Du told ASB that he wanted to raise the GPA to participate in ASB. This would let kids focus on school and ‘weed’ out the unnecessary members. The motion for participation will take place the second term, January 17, 2017, and to run for the council will start in the 2018-2019 school year. This motion will change some of the student bylaws as well.

“I first wasn’t sure about this motion because not many people could participate possibly but I think this wouldn’t make a difference because  many of our kids would maintain good grades,” said Enya Do, the AdVenture President. She had voted yes towards the grade change. She thinks this will help people grade wise because this will let them focus more in school to stay in ASB.

To participate in ASB, you would need to maintain a 2.5  GPA and to run for the council, you need a 3.0 GPA.  To run for ASB is 3.0 GPA but now it is changed to 3.5 GPA. The majority of the ASB had voted yes to the grade change. The motion was approved and will take action in the upcoming semester and school year.