A Father and His Family

Angelina Ongolea, Reporter

Raymond Ongolea is a very determined person. He has a goal: to support his family and protect them. Though he has a pretty tough life, he still puts his family over everything else.  Raymond was not born in America and had to learn English the hard way. His family did not have much.  He is a father of seven, and I am the eldest of those seven. It goes without saying, the role of a father is very important.

It all started when he was about seven and he delivered the newspaper first thing in the morning. From 4:00 to 5:00 every morning Raymond left his  house on his bike to deliver the newspaper to everyone in the neighborhood. After all the work was been done, he went to school. Ever since that first job, Raymond felt determination in him, and he continued to work to earn money for the family.  He grew up with five other siblings. There are lots of struggles he went through in order to get where he is now.

Fathers are the head of the family, for the most part. They get up early in the morning go to work most days of the week. Because of their role and dedication, Dad’s give you the confidence to grow and feel good about yourself. They are there to give you a head start, that little push closer to success. I know for some families that isn’t the case but for most you can understand. 

Raymond, a father, said that he does what he does today because, “I have to pay the bills and take care of family.” Being a father is a big responsibility. In his opinion, Raymond said,“It is the best thing in the world.” Family is an important aspect of life. Raymond said that it’s all about “making enough money to care for family.”

In Raymond’s history there were a lot of jobs, “About 11 jobs in all,” Raymond said. Raymond believes that it’s also important to “spend time with family.” As Raymond’s career as a water heater installer progressed, Raymond started his own company. His family members worked alongside him.  

Get busy living or get busy dying”

— Raymond

Raymond had two cars that he loved a lot; one was a Mustang and the other was a Challenger. He bought these cars with the money he earned from running his company. As time passed, eventually somebody wanted to know if the Challenger was for sale. They offered a great price for the Challenger, and Raymond had took it. His favorite car that he had many memories in was sold, so he could earn the money to provide for his family.

There is a lot more to Raymond than just his work and his family. He is friends with everyone in our local grocery store, most of the stores in the neighborhood, actually. He’s great father, son , works extremely hard for family. Nothing holds him back from protecting and pleasing his family.

Raymond Ongolea is my hero because nothing holds him back from doing what he loves the most. He is a very friendly person and very easy to get along with, funny and a great father. There is nothing more I could ask for. Who’s your hero?