One Unassuming Hero

Nicolas Ramos, Reporter

You might have seen movies with superheroes, but what about heroes in our society?  In our society, teachers educate youth to become good humans later in life. Teachers know that students are the future of any nation. So the development of our future is in our teachers’ hands. Today, what we see in business, politics and our society is all affected by teachers. 

Ms. Mariana Garcia is the founding AdVenture STEM teacher. She was originally from Mexico City, and it wasn’t until 2008 that she decided she wanted to be a teacher. She teaches science and STEM electives at AdVenture. She teaches science because “science feeds that curiosity and the desire to learn about the world. It helps bridge the gap between the classroom and the real-world.”

According to Ms. Garcia, “I became a teacher because I wanted the best education for my children. I saw how schools were back then, and they weren’t teaching students in a way that is relevant to their lives.” This is her 10th year of being a teacher, and she plans to keep teaching. She has no plans of retiring anytime soon, and being in the classroom helps her stay relevant.

She created a blog because she said, “I like sharing what’s going on in the classroom.” When asked if she considers herself a hero, she said, “No, because heroes go above and beyond.”

In 2008 Ms. Garcia became a google certified educator, edmodo luminary and a KQED ambassador. She is always looking for new ways to teach to make education more exciting for her students. Ms. Garcia was one of the top twenty teachers in the nation for sharing her lessons on KQED education. Later in 2013, she was named a Globaloria Teacher of the Year.

After that, in 2014, she was Santa Clara County Office of Education STEM Teacher of the Year. She was able to involve Pokemon Go to engage students in learning. She finds the most creative ways to teach kids about science and makes her lesson plans engaging.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “One Unassuming Hero”

1. Ariel Velasquez on February 12th, 2018 8:15 am

I really like your article! It’s very interesting and I liked how you mentioned the award that she got for being teacher of the year.

[Reply]

2. Casey Fritzen on February 12th, 2018 8:16 am

Great Article Nico, I like the part Mrs.Garcia said she does not call herself a hero.

[Reply]

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

My Hero

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

An Unexpected Hero

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

From Vietnam to America: Not Exactly a Hero

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

A Young Girl’s Hero

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

The 1970 Philippine Corruption

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

Demone Carter; educator, entertainer, emcee, and rapper

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

A Polish Hero

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

One of the many unassuming heroes in our community

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

Unassuming Heroes

• One Unassuming Hero

Features

Normal people, big heroes

One Unassuming Hero