The Battle

Yasmine Correa, Reporter

When someone tells you to think about a hero, who comes to mind? If you ask me, it wouldn’t be Spiderman or Wonder Woman, it would be my grandfather, whom I call ‘Ito’. On November 15th, 2017, my family was shocked to hear that he was diagnosed with colon cancer. The doctors found in his lower intestine, and it had spread to his lymph nodes. They discovered the cancer at an early stage and told my grandfather that if he had waited a couple months, it would have spread into his major organs. During surgery, the doctors discovered that it had almost reached his lymph nodes. Therefore, they had to cut out a big chunk of his intestine.

During this process, he was scared since this cancer is really serious and doctors never know what they are going to find  until the surgery. “After this process I learned that I can’t go to work and I can’t do heavy work around the house,” is what my Ito said sadly a day after the surgery. Before the surgery he prayed to God. “Dear God, I know I might not pray a lot, and I question my faith, but please help me have a good surgery and find nothing wrong.” Thankfully the process went smoothly with no problems in-between.

It started as a polyp and developed in his lower intestine and was found to be cancerous after they did a biopsy. The doctors found that there was no specific cause to this condition. They immediately scheduled a surgery to prevent it from spreading into his other organs. The whole family was concerned for his health. He seemed very calm and very positive the entire time. He said “It’s all in Gods’ hands and all we can do is pray and hope for the best outcome.”

In the last few years, there has been a few family members who have been diagnosed with cancer and not all have been as brave and calm as my Ito. During this process he was going through, my grandfather was very optimistic and took very good care of his health. It was difficult to find out what he needed because he never told us what he was feeling or if it hurt him. He always wondered what he was feeling but he never asked the doctors about it.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Battle”

1. Andre Winkel on February 12th, 2018 8:28 am

Wow, your grandfather is really brave.

[Reply]

• The Battle

Opinion

A Father and His Family

• The Battle

Opinion

Very unassuming heroes

• The Battle

Opinion

Teacher Heroes in Disguise

• The Battle

Opinion

Is High School Healthy?

• The Battle

Opinion

My life hero is… my Dad!?!?

• The Battle

Opinion

Students’ thoughts on cafeteria food

• The Battle

Opinion

Do video games turn your brain to mush?

• The Battle

Opinion

Starting a Fun School Sport

• The Battle

Opinion

Rapper-Rocker-Country Spirit Day

• The Battle

Opinion

Students Thoughts On I-Ready

The Battle